Filling and painting over screw holes in a door

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Cardiff Archie, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Cardiff Archie

Cardiff Archie New Member

Hi,i know this must have been covered before,but i just couldn't face trolling through all the pages.
    Basically it's this - i have some internal doors which used to have a victorian scroll style handle on them,i now want to put a type of Carlisle Brass Rose (item number 30559) on but the 4 screw holes are showing,i have tried filling and sanding down but after undercoating you can still make out the 4 screw holes,any tips would be most welcome.
    Thanks

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Slightly over fill and wrap your sandpaper around a wooden block to get the surface flat. It will need priming and may need a couple of coats of undercoat to get the same sort of finish as the rest of the door before top coating.

Ir you could fit blinds and weaker light bulbs;);)

Phil the Paver likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Lots of variables here so a little more info would be good;

What filler are you using

What grade paper are you rubbing down with

What undercoat

What's the top finish of the doors

Are you just prepping and painting the screw holes or the whole door

With patients and technique you should be able to make any damage dissapeare

I've noticed that often when you remove a screw from timber, it leaves a slight raised area which need to be flattened before you start filling

If you are just trying to fill and paint the screw holes, you may be better going for a larger area to help blend the repair in