Filling in small dents in the walls and ceilings

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi

I am new to decorating.

I had some chipboard put down upstairs and noticed a few of the screws for the chipboard have damaged the ceiling downstairs.

I will need to fill in these minor dents.

However I haven't done this before and wanted to know the best product to use and how to apply it.

Once I know this, I can get the repair done and get the mist coating sorted out. Video attached.

Cheers

IM

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Gyproc Easi-fill. Mix a small amount up, fill slightly proud and sand flush when dry. Different working times are available eg Easi-fill 20 gives you 20 mins before it starts to set. Wickes and B&Q sell it but not our hosts unfortunately.
    Before you fill though make sure those nails are punched home.

Working On It and Iron_Mike like this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

It looks like that screw has been screwed in from below and into the joist?

4. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

The ceiling was boarded then plastered, so think they must be the screws from the boards.

Working On It likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Iron_Mike likes this.
  6. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers fella

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Couldn't watch the video on my phone for some reason so could only just make out the thumbnail of the video - thought they were nails - Sorry. As Wayners says, see if they will tighten or add another nearby but make sure you're screwing into the joist. Its because the joists are moving and the board isn't (or vice versa) hence the pop and is often caused by dropping something heavy upstairs or similar - like a new floor being fitted!

Iron_Mike likes this.
  8. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Thanks. They popped when the chipboard was installed upstairs. I will get the screws tightened and the dents filled in.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Was the chipboard screwed or nailed down out of interest ?