Filling Loop? Boiler problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Samborambo, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Samborambo

Samborambo New Member

Hi Everyone,

hope you can help. I have a Worcester Greenstar boiler (LPG). heating has been off for months - put it on yesterday and no heating (have hot water) Pressure is on 0.

I think i have found the filling loop to re pressurise but cant find the dial to do it.

Attached pic - is the top circle the filling loop?

The bottom circle on the picture is a dial if i turn it anti clockwide i hear water coming out, there is also another one of the dials coming out of the cylinder ?

Help please

Attached Files:

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Typically the two valves that need undoing are the ones at each end of the flexible pipe.

3. Hi Sam.

See the 'bottom' dial that you turned? Well don't.

If you post close-up pics of both ends of the flexible hose, we should be able to advise on how to tweak the whatsit - can't see what type of thingies are on it from here.

(I'm tired.)

4. Samborambo

Samborambo New Member

Woops - was does that bottle black dial do? When i turn it i can actually see what coming out of one pipe into another, same things happen with the same dial coming out the cylinder.

I'll try and get a close up pic of the flexible hose - is this the filling loop? If so there is no dial or anywhere to use a screwdriver to open a valve??

5. Samborambo

Samborambo New Member

Not sure if this pic is any better

Attached Files:

6. Nope - pic still pants :)

Can't you manage a close-up of each actual valve?

Anyhoo, I suspect that black thing is a PRV and it releases excessive pressure if something goes wrong - if it emptied in to a visible funnel thingy, then that's a tundish. If it stopped letting water out when you closed it, then it should be fine, but they are prone to carry on dripping once opened.

Do you have pressure gauges on there somewhere? You might find that one of them dropped a bit when you opened that black thing.

7. Samborambo

Samborambo New Member

Yes pressure gauge is very low - not even in the green , just above zero. yes it did emtpy into a funnel thing

So i need to top up the system but not sure how! I;m, not even sure if that metal hose in the filling loop? I'l ltry and get a better pic, but there is no dial on both ends. On the cold water pipe there does looks to be a nipple type thing?

8. Samborambo

Samborambo New Member

Ok guys close up pics attached of each end of the braided silver hose:

2.jpg

1.jpg