fingerless gloves for cold working, pda/smart device, and writing?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Rick Dawson, May 4, 2017.

1. Rick Dawson

Rick Dawson New Member

anyone tell me what gloves i should get for work?
    i work in a backup fridge (walk in), and fridges on shop floor.
    i do date checking, but my hands suffer from the cold more than most.
    thinking fingerless gloves for cold working, pda/smart device, and writing.

ps. not sure which forum i should be posting this in, this seem right? gloves being a tool to help me get the job done properly...

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake. Use a Galaxy Note 7 as your smart device and you won't need gloves!

3. Rick Dawson

Rick Dawson New Member

ha... ha... ha... not.

im asking a serious question and need to know.

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Fingerless gloves come in a variety of styles and there are ones with fold back finger covers (more like mittens) which might suffice. Although I'm not a fisherman they seem to have this issue quite well covered - occasional need for dexterity during spells of cold weather.
    But...
    What does your employer's risk assessment advise? There appears to be an occupation health issue here and they must address this. PPE (gloves in this instance) are the last resort and other ways of engineering out any risks should be investigated. So whilst Mr HA's suggestion was laughed off he might have been on to something - PDAs which can be used with gloved hands for instance.
    I'm afraid your employer appears to be avoiding their responsibilities.

Astramax likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Shop workers have to use the ones they are given ...

Rick Dawson likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Aldi's used to sell gloves which you could use a PDA with and had a conductive tips £4.99. Ebay have some available - just search for PDA gloves

7. Rick Dawson

Rick Dawson New Member

they do have gloves, but using them stops me using the mobile devices in the store in the walk in fridge.
    so they are covered, and wont spend on any PPE or uniform. they are just the most basic.

conductive gloves which are mentioned are no use either, as they just make it harder to use the mobile with my big fingers. just manage with the tips of my thumbs/finger

on my own private smartphone, I have downloaded a keyboard that has bigger keys.

8. Rick Dawson

Rick Dawson New Member

exactly.

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I do a reasonable amount of salmon fishing in all weathers including snow and hail with temperatures sometimes around freezing! I have a pair of neoprene gloves and two fingers and te thumb on each hand has a slit in which allows me to fold back just one leaving the rest covered.

Mine are Barbour: https://www.countryattire.com/barbo...003gn11.html?gclid=CO227PLV4NMCFemd7QodNPEOLg There are others which have a finger tip missing - so not as useful.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Try being more assertive with your employers, this is a H&S issue.
    You can get fingerless gloves and gloves with detachable tips.
    If it comes to the worst butcher a pair of gloves that they supply.

vivaro man likes this.