Fire Alarm Sounder Fault.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by firstline37, Nov 12, 2008.

1. firstline37

firstline37 New Member

I've installed a Mag 4 ESP Fire alarm and getting intermittent zone 2 sounder fault.

I put the end of line resistor in the panel to rule out the panel . It still came up faulty, so i thought thats it and got new panel.

Thing still is intermittently showing the same fault with new panel.

Does anyone know how the panel picks up a sounder fault.

From what i've read it has a potential divider arrangement , as the resistance changes on sounder circuit this is then picked up by the panel

The normal range is 2 to 6 mA at 24v. I get that to ideal resistance of 6k. The zone actually measures 9.6 k. But thats the same as the other sounder circuit , with no fault.

I'm back tomorrow for about the sixth time to check voltages . I have ordered a mains filter to install as for a security system.

This is my first non addressable alarm and went well other than this intermittent fault. Im seriously considering either fitting a different make of panel , or even an addressable system ( these are supposed to be easier to fault find).

Any tips from seasoned pros would be appreciated.

Melvin Rey likes this.
  2. noconduit

noconduit New Member

Welcome to my world.
    I had a nightmare with a mag 4.
    I kept getting faults on different circuits, but as I don't do too many alarms I thought it was wiring faults, badly connected at the detectors or sounders.
    Eventually I replaced the board but had the same probs so fannied around for another 2 days.
    Replaced the board again, but had similar problems.
    On my third board I started poking around a bit & realised that a small amount of pressure would trigger the fault so the PCB must be damaged - maybe a dry joint?
    Looks like a manufacturing problem common to all 3 (& maybe yours)
    Get another board mate.

3. firstline37

firstline37 New Member

nocond,
    You are a star , thats the same as me. I found that if i pushed the wires that went into the terminals in the panel the fault would come and go.

I could wedge the wire to stop the fault , but its on a stud wall next to a door . I was wondering if it was excess vibration. From what you've said i may just ask for my money back and fit another make of panel.

What are the most reliable non addressable panels.

4. noconduit

noconduit New Member

Glad to be of help mate.
    I've fitted a couple of Firescans from Citys since.
    Absolute dream in comparison.

When I spoke to the engineers at ESP they admitted they'd had a similar problem before, and had strengthened the board.

-Hard to believe it's still so shyt.

I must have wasted 8 days. I seriously thought of taking legal action, but whats the chance of winning.
    Gonna be nil.

Good luck with the replacement - and yes the wires should still reach the firescan if you've got some slack.

5. mrzip2003

mrzip2003 New Member

Thank you I found this helpful site.

I encounter also the same problem with sounder fault on analog Fire Alarm Panel I newly maintained here in Saudi Arabia.

The panel is a bit old and the fault is already present upon my arrival.

during smoke test, the sounder works as it should be but on manual pull station test the panel give beeps showing fault but the sounder don't give alarm sound. Any idea?

the battery and fuses are checked to be good.

Melvin Rey likes this.
  6. Melvin Rey

Melvin Rey New Member

Mrzip, i have the same problem also with my Siemens FC10. Damn, i spent 1 week just to troubleshoot it with no progress. I have tested the batteries also. But one thing ive discovered was all of the terminals of the sounders outputs 5v, but 1 sounder outputs 1v (i have 3 sounders installed). I decided to interchange them as well but it seems the problem cannot be solved that way.