Fire Angel - Interlink Voltage

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by CircleSmartHomes, Aug 20, 2017.

1. CircleSmartHomes

CircleSmartHomes New Member

Hello All,

Odd question for a Sunday afternoon but does anyone know what voltage the interlink signal runs at on Fire Angel Mains smoke/heat alarms.

We are wanting to take the signal into an automation system and need to know what voltage it is.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good question, you use a 3 core & earth cable on the heat & smoke alarms, & your limited to 250mtr connecting wire per circuit, but I can't recall the interconnect voltage.

3. CircleSmartHomes

Plenty of meterage for the cabling, we just need to work out if we can directly take the signal into our system or if we need to step it down using a coupling relay etc.

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I would recommend using AICO smokes and adding an AICO relay base to just one alarm - This provides a pair of volt free contacts on alarm. I don't think the FireAngel range have a relay base available. The interlink voltage is extra low voltage as it must interlink during a mains failure.

KIAB likes this.
  5. CircleSmartHomes

Very good point! The issue is that we didn't have a say in the smokes going in and now trying to work out the way around this.

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

The fire angel wst 630 battery smoke alarm can be I interlinked but like already said Aico only decent smoke alarm to install

KIAB likes this.
  7. CircleSmartHomes

I appreciate that and will note it for future installs, the issue we have is that Fire Angel mains interlinked smokes are already being installed in this project. So we are in need of finding out how we can get a voltage signal from the Fire Angel smokes.

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I would buy some . Wire them up. Test em?

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

AICO, only alarms I will use,nothing better in my opinion.

Sparkielev likes this.
  10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Mr K - Aico are the best

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

They've got a 9v battery to work as backup. There'll be an approx 9v difference (a shade less) applied to the neutral of the interconnect in event of 240v drop out. Which is what will be detected.

Or so common sense dictates.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

14. Lectrician

I don't think it's as simple as saying "it's a 9v battery, the signal will be 9v". It is definitely referenced to neutral, as reversing polarity kills the alarms.

15. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The standby battery is 9V, so when the mains are lost the alarm will still work and commutate with the others on the circuit. My guess is that the coms voltage is around 9V, but at a very low current. I would set an alarm up and test the com's wire voltage to neutral. A suitable relay can be found on E Bay in the Arduino shield section. This is a 5v relay with optical isolation and an interface, to trigger it requires only a few milliamps. I am using one at present as a water level alarm running on a 12 volt supply, it's been Ok for more than a year. Cost between £2 and £8 depending on how many relays you want on a board.

KIAB likes this.
  16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I would have thought that the Interlink wire is a telemetary connection that provides (vendor specific) chat between the connected alarms. It doubt that it is a hard on/off signal.
    You best bet is tro call Fire Angel http://www.fireangel.co.uk/support/technical-support

17. Lectrician

Concur - It is not just an on/off signal. It includes mute/hush etc. I doubt you can simply hook a relay up to the interlink and neutral.

18. Smokey

Smokey Active Member