Fire Door closure advice.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Mar 30, 2016.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all

Has anyone had any experience or any more knowledge on fire closures.

I believe there is two ways either to adjust screws on the side and pull the arm in (thread it in more)

Basically I have a few that just don't seem to pull in.

In the past I have seen them chiseled into the arches, is the best way as they just don't seem to have enough pull on them.

the door is swinging free but maybe something I've missed.

2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Few possible reasons this could happen. What door closers are they, are they fitted on the pull side of the door (regular fixing) or on the push side of the door (parallel arm fixing). I don't want to sound patronising but most of the good closers come with detailed fitting instruction and some even have templates.

tore81 likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The 2 screws are closing speed and latching force.
    Did you fit them or are you trying to adjust existing closers?

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the replies

I haven't fitted them myself. It's like they haven't got enough pull to get to them shut very frustrating. Even if I get them slamming they won't locate in the receiver.

The head of the door could have a couple of mil taken off a bit. ( my next plan of attack) I've tried packing here and there. Also tried pulling off the receiver.

Maybe i should send a picture to iron Mongery direct. And replace?

They aren't your regular closure and yes fitted on a different side as there no frame to fit too.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I doubt it's a faulty closer, it's more likely the door or the closer isn't fitted correctly.
    Do you still have the original fitting instructions or can you download a copy.

6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

That's a good idea actually chippie I'll get the make and have a look on the net think it's a Gewis.

It's like the door is binding against the hinge side when it's closed. Timber frame building too.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Disconnect the closer, get the door swinging properly and then refit the closer and adjust.

Unit 1, tore81, CGN and 1 other person like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Are there intumescent strips fitted (should be)? As Chippie said, make sure it will close easily without. A gentle push and it should latch nicely. Experiment with the adjusting screws...can make all the difference!

tore81 likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

One more thing. Check that the arm screws are going through the archs into something solid. You can easily pull the head off if not fixed securely.

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I noticed the top hinge wasn't chiselled as far in as the bottom and middle. So they aren't in line. Maybe that's contributing too.

I don't mean rebated I mean backset in to the frame so they all line up. Why someone fitting the door wouldn't of set them in exactly the same I find strange. ( wether the frames have moved over the years I don't know)

Even some of the latches haven't been chiselled in so definetly things have been messed about with over the years.

Just going to take a few mm off the top with my festool. Then get the top hinge set back the same. See where that leaves me. Thank you all for the advice

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

When you come to refit the closure wind both the screws out so the door stands still, I think they wind out in different directions, and then turn the swing screw till it swings to nearly closed at a steady speed and then adjust the latch screw to fully close it in a positive manner that doesn't bang.

tore81 likes this.
  12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all

I tried chiselling the receiver in today which helped a bit.

Then I stumbled across that when I opened the window they are shutting very fast. and with window closed almost giving a vacuum effect. Strange.

I have come across this before but forgot about it. How do I overcome this problem no idea. As I need to get them closing to regs

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get them to work with the windows open or closed in front of the person who is signing them off and then run away :)

tore81 and CGN like this.
  14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

These are the closures they pull from the outside of the door instead of the inside.

They are starting to seriously **** me off lol

Attached Files:

15. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Always remember ............

you don't make these things, you can't fix them if they don't work

so don't get downhearted, you didn't make this problem ok?

tore81 likes this.
  16. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ye no doubt they are probably cheap I will try and contact ironmongery direct. See what they say! Frustrating as it should be a straight forward job.

All good fun lol

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You have the fitting on the frame directly over the pivot on the closer, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it should be towards the jamb on the left on your photo.
    Did you download the installation guide as I suggested?

CGN likes this.
  18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Well spotted Chippie. Been about 6 months since I last fitted any...something doesn't look quite right.

Tore...there's usually a template in the box. I fit the cheap and cheerful ones from ID (arrone brand) without any probs.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's years since I fitted one.

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Lucky you :)