Fire Door closure advice.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Mar 30, 2016.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I quite liked them, better than bomber hinges.

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thank you guys always easier with a photo!

I didn't fit them so just didn't think of that, truly a great spot chippie.

That is defineyly worth a try and like you say they are always off centre. Would make sense

I'll look for the one that are closing correctly and see how they are. I'll let you know! Thanks again.

CGN and chippie244 like this.
  3. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Going back to your comment about the closer working when the window is open.....

This is an issue in a lot of situations where too much sealant is used. Then there is no suitable airflow and there are noticeable differences in air pressure. Sometimes you feel your ears pop or a cupboard door opens.

The result is that the door struggles to close and just doesn't have enough oomph left to click the catch. Which is what I think you are seeing ie the door makes its way to close but just doesn't do it?

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Yes that's exactly the problem on some of the doors DW.

Very frustrating!

Where do you mean sealant, all these different scenarios I hate fire doors now lol

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Had a look at them again today and they are all the same 10 plus doors fitted with the pivot points parallel. Very Strange way of fitting

I tried to move to the left and the right. Just to see. No joy!

I did however bend the actual arm as was getting frustrated and it actually closed. I couldn't believe.

Maybe the arm has been bending under pressure. Cheap Chinese steel lol. I can't see this working on the rest. I'm getting closer one down .

6. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Its when a room becomes virtually airtight, usually when too many mastics are used. So you go to open or close a door and you feel the change in air pressure around you. The door has to work against pressure on opening and suction when closing.

With the door closer it gives it a kick start and I expect some kind of breaking force to stop it slamming excessively when it closes. However in this case the air pressure slows it all down and it can't do what it needs to do properly.

tore81 likes this.