Fire doors closing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Nov 21, 2016.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

First of all apologies as I have posted something similar sometime ago.

Basically I have some fire doors not shutting adequate.

i have rang a locksmith and explained the problem as I was looking to get new door closures. One that actually pulls the door in, mine won't latch.

I started to explain that when the windows are open the doors shut. And reccomend fitting a fire vent into the door. That from experience he has had the same problem.
    These doors are in a corridor and have other doors windows opposite so this would make sense. But then the room next door but one closes. It is just a head spin.

Does anyone know where I can get one or used one?

I know every building is different but pulling my hair with these doors now.

Any advice would be helpful

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Does it close cleanly to the door stops with the latch out tore?

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

No just sits before the latch, then open window and shuts. I've removed the latch also

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not enough pressure on the closer?

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Tried winding them fully in still no difference.

Can you get closure with different pressures pull etc. Still doesn't explain why others shut .

What a ball ache

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There is a build up of air pressure in the room. Try adjusting it to close slower and latch quicker.

tore81 likes this.
  7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

The closures I have are GEZe make! Seem pretty cheap.

The arm is connected to the outside of the frame if that makes sense.

I don't think there is a latching mechanism.

Just 2 adjustment screws which slow down the two speeds, to my knowledge.

I'll try that Moro tho cheers

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

One speed is close the other is latch.

tore81 likes this.
  9. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

If you cannot get the door to close by adjusting the pistons alone you should be able to shorten the bar and/or move the mounting point slightly but there is generally another fault at play.

These are the first things to look for (from a fire door fitting and maintaining geek)

Ignore the closer and concentrate on getting the door to close sweetly with just gentle pressure:- Make sure the receiver provides adequate play between the door and stop. There must also be sufficient distance and angle from where the latch meets the receiver to close easily. Most of the time when a door won't close under it's own steam I take out the receiver and recut it setting it at a more acute angle. The door should always latch without undue force. Another problem is if the door doesn't have enough gap so the smoke seals binds causing friction that stops the closers momentum.

If all else fails fit a good quality closer such as:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/briton-2003v-overhead-door-closer-silver/47904

tore81 likes this.
  10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

How much gap should there be between door and strip.

I can hear the brushes touching. Should they not be touching. I will try that closure also cheers

11. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Their purpose is as a smoke seal so the brushes should just make contact with the door enough to provide the seal without impeding the door from closing.

tore81 and CGN like this.
  12. njm

njm Member

Its only shutting when the window is open because the change in air pressure is helping it. My guess is the draught pile is rubbing the door just enough to stop it latching. There are few solutions here, quick fix but i bit of a bodge is to give the pile a slight haircut with sharp stanley blade -thus thinning it out a bit, adjust closer power and latching speed as has been suggested already but hasnt seemed to help and finally if its possible then chop hinges in slightly deeper (only a mm) to allow draught pile some more room.

tore81 likes this.
  13. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thankyou for the reply,

How do these intermiscent strips work don't the brushes need to be tight?

Or will they expand with heat

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Brushes just need to 'kiss' the frame, they're there as a smoke seal. The intumescant part will swell up if the door is subjected to fire.

15. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Cheers CGN

The brushes are in the door frames. And you can hear that they are air tight.

So I could try a razor

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ok. Check the gaps when the door is shut. Might just need a tweak with a block plane here and there...