Fire resistance and insulation layers

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Philde, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Philde

Philde Member

I now have a single block wall between my garage and my house. I understand that I should install a layer of fire resistant plasterboard on the house side of this wall. I would also like to add some insulation eg plasterboard faced Celotex. My question is:- if I do this (and any better suggestions welcome) which layer should be against the block wall, the fire resistant plasterboard or the Celotex. My gut feeling is that it should be the fire resistant board against the block wall then the insulation layer on top of that but is that correct. Any better suggestions?

Thanks

Phil...

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm no expert on this but how about plasterboard against the house side of the wall and the celotex on the garage side.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Philde likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

How much fire protection does a single block wall give I wonder ???

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I wish the guidance on "Fire resistance" was clarified. Depending on which Building Control Officer you speak to, there are different views. Some just want enough protection (30mins..) to allow the fire brigade enough time to come and get someone out and then deal with the fire. Others want protection for a structure against a roaring blaze going off. Keeping a BCO happy by wrapping huge RSJs in standard plasterboard to give 30 mins protection whilst other things nearby are unprotected really makes you wonder the purpose of doing a lot of this.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some BCO's are a complete pain in the rear, had one many years ago,how I wish I could have buried him in the footings I was pouring.:)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  9. Philde

Philde Member

Maybe I'm going over the top anyway. The house was built in 1974 and the partition between the toilet and garage was originally two walls separated by a 8 inch gap. This gap was to provide ventilation to the pantry from the outside. So whilst in one sense the wall between the toilet and garage was two blocks, I would imagine the ventilation gap between the two and the direct link to the house via the ventilation into the pantry would have negated (stoked any fire?) any protection of the second row of blocks.

Phil...