Fireplace wonders.....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Stan_M, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Stan_M

Stan_M New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi guys,

Am just in the process of purchasing a property, went & had another look today, I took a peek behind the existing electric fire and came across this.....I want to get it all removed as eventually would like a wood burner installed.
    Does anyone know 1) what it is? 2) how I would go about getting it removed.
    Many thanks for any help, much appreciated....

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A type of back boiler for hot water I think.

Need a close up photo.

3. Hi Stan.

Is there a gas pipe going to it?

Is that front 'coal' fireplace a gas or leccy item?

Anyhoo, it does look like a back boiler of some sort, in which case there will be a couple of 22mm or 28mm copper pipes going to it too (for water).

Anyhoo, in the event that is it a gas-powered boiler, you'll need a GasSafe cove to disconnect the gas supply safely, and ideally back at the meter and not chust capped off at the fire (unless you might want a gas fire there in the future? If not, get it fully cut off).

Then, for your wood burner/multifuel stove you'll need a Hetas cove to check the chimney and tell you what's required - perhaps a flue liner, perhaps a larger opening with a new lintel, or whatevs.

But, it'll be great :)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Go for a multifuel stove, as you have more choice of fuels to use , wood, coal,peat,smokeless fuels,etc.

There will be one or two 22mm pipes coming in right side at the back of that boiler, can't remember, so long since I removed one.

This what it would have looked like, but I can't remember the name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. Stan_M

Stan_M New Member

Great, thanks for the replies, the existing fireplace is electric, as I said it was just a 'peek' as I went round to do some measuring, not sure on the plumbing to this unit just yet. Obviously I will get qualified peeps to do the necessary work.
    I'm sure someone has seen/removed these before.

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

That is an old Glowworm Housewarmer BBU with the fire front removed It has clearly been de-commissioned and can probably be removed.

However I would like to think that the wet side has been re routed, but looking at the pipes still in there it could be live.

Best advice is to get a local plumber in to check, if it is still on the heating circuit then someone has been exceptionally lazy, But because it is still in situ I have a gut feeling that is exactly what has happened

7. Stan_M

Stan_M New Member

Thanks for the pics KIAB, the boiler looks exactly the same as the one I have.
    I'm guessing once the gas is isolated, removed & capped I can remove the water pipes and then the boiler?

Thanks again.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

DAVE: Is it the same as the Thorn EMI Housewarmer back boiler, been all afternoon thinking about the make of it..

There was a thread on here, way back in 2007 about Thorn EMI Housewarmer.

http://community.screwfix.com/threads/thorn-emi-housewarmer-back-boiler.73805/

9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

10. Stan_M

Stan_M New Member

Thanks guys, some excellent advice.

11. Sis in law recently bought a Purefire Cosy 5 (pretty sure it was - I'll try and find the thread I had about it) (http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Purefire-Cosey-5.html) and I think it was cheaper at the time.

But I can confirm it's a beaut - superbly made, very solid, terrific finish, very good controls and really works well.

They have an 8kW model too for only a few squid more - but that will need a vent fitted, especially if your house is recentish (2007 onwards or summat).

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You don't know the significance of that post - you beat Kiab and his encyclopaedic memory (and Google skills) at identifying old pieces of kit :D

[​IMG]