Fireproof cabinet to enclose gas meter?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Margarit Thomas, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Margarit Thomas

Margarit Thomas New Member

We are in the process of getting a (internal) gas meter installed in our top floor flat in Edinburgh. Because the only place we could install the meter is right behind the front door (the only escape route in the event of an emergency), we were told by SGN that we have to get a fireproof box built around the currently non-existent meter, or our energy supplier would refuse to install a meter for us. They also told us that the common metal meter boxes normally used for external meters would not be fit for our purpose.

I have spoken to a joiner friend of mine, but he's never heard of such a box...

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know if my energy supplier can refuse to install the meter just because the box is not there yet? (They are coming to install in the next few days - we are trying to get the box sorted out but just not sure if we can get it built in time). Afterall, how can I be expected to build something around it when there's nothing to build around??

2. What sort of materials are they looking for? And where can I get such materials?...I've had a look at the Screwfix website, as well as B&Q, but to no avail.

3. Is there an expected thickness for the walls? Does anyone know of any requirements for how the door must be opened/closed?

4. Has anyone seen such a box? Any photographic examples for what it should look like? (I've seen a lot of meter cabinets in flats, but all made of wood and none are fireproof...)

Any input would be appreciated!

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Never heard of one and wouldn't imagine the fitter being pleased, that they have to work in a tiny box.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Margarit Thomas

That's a very good point - how are they supposed to install a meter while being confined to such small space?.. o_O

How does it work with external meters though? I would imagine the metal meter box would have to be fixed to the wall first then the meter gets installed?

4. Phil the Paver

Most meter boxes are plastic and are quite large, larger than you would want in you house.

Just out of interest, my meters is in my house and is just in a wooden cupboard, no ones ever said owt.

5. Phil the Paver

Just had a quick look around, it seem that a standard meter box is 30 minute fire rated, trouble would you want a standard meter box inside your flat.??, have a Google for meter boxes, they are quite cheap but ugly.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Doesn't have to be small though. Something like a kitchen cabinet lined with 12mm plasterboard would create a 1/2hr fire rated box. Ordinary meter cupboards are made from glass fibre, so can be 1/2hr rated. Possibly the supplier is insisting on the fire rating because your in a property of multiple occupation. Is there an existing gas supply to your flat ? Best advice I could give is to contact the company who are insisting on this and ask them for advice on a fire rated box. I'm sure they'll help you.

FatHands likes this.
  7. Margarit Thomas

SGN said that the standard meter boxes are not fit for our purpose, as it's designed for outdoor use :(

Thanks joinerjohn1 - that sounds feasible and I will look into it!

I have not idea why SGN insists on us having the cupboard, other than the fact that the meter is going to be right above our main door. We aren't in a HMO property either - it's just myself and my partner...o_O There is an existing gas supply that hasn't been used for probably 10+ years, and SGN was in the property to either reinstate it or install a new one when they asked for a fireproof box to be built. I am not so worried about SGN, it's just that their engineer said Scottish Hydro would refuse to install the meter if the box wasn't already there. When I called SGN back for further clarification, they just told me to speak to a joiner, and when we called Hydro to find out whether it's true they that they could refuse to install, no one had a clue what we were on about...

8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Perhaps its a bit of a mix-up/misunderstanding Margarit (on there behalf). I guess the person who can clarify this is the installers.
    I've got my fingers crossed for you!

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Seems strange, old meters were soldered together with lead connections and fell apart in a fire, but new meters are pressed steel with stainless steel connections, almost fire proof.
    The main risk would be from any soldered copper pipe, if compression fittings were used in the exposed area (or if you can find someone who can still work with it iron pipe) there would seem to be very little chance of fire.
    My guess is they really don't want to put meters inside these days and try to force external meter boxes on customers, by putting obstacles in the way.
    Don't know if rules are different for Scotland, but Gas Safe or whatever the body is might be able to advise on the position.

FatHands likes this.
  10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Margarit, in your original post, you mentioned that it was a top floor flat. I'm assuming there are other flats in the same property? (a bit like the auld tenement buildings doon Leith and in Portobello) This would make the building, one of multiple occupation. This could be the reason they are insisting on a fireproof cupboard to put the meter in. Best to get in touch with a local joinery company and ask their advice about the box hen. ;);)

11. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Build a wooden box to the size required, then line the inside, including the door, with master board using fire retardant silicone.

12. jld

jld New Member

I know this post is from a good few years ago

13. jld

jld New Member

I know this thread is from a good few years ago but I find myself in Edinburgh with the same issue. I have a joiner trying to source fir proof material to make a box. I wonder how you solved the problem ...,,,

14. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

the parts that fail in a fire are the rubber parts in the meter regulator before the meter
    by the time the fire has done this there is not much left
    and after you can expect an explosion
    so theres the reality but reality has never really mattered and after the fire it want there still go on about it
    externaln meter box external outlet pipes until your flat is the way

15. jld

jld New Member

Thanks for response. I appreciate the need for good safety and happy to support this. An external gas meter and box not an option as in an Edinburgh tenement on next to top floor. I am looking for help as to how others have solved the problem of providing a fire proof box to fit over an internal sited gas meter.

16. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

SGN will have a specification for it if they req one
    ask your other tenents

17. Kayos

Kayos New Member

hi, I've run into the exact same "problem". My flat on the fifth floor will be connected to the gas mains but Sgn have said I need to install a fireproof meter box. I have phoned them, Scottish power, activa, HSE and asked my central heating installer. Most haven't heard of this and the rest can't give any specific instructions or where to get such a box.

Jld, did you ever gets yours sorted?

18. jld

jld New Member

19. jld

jld New Member

Hi - we got box made - huge, heavy and very expensive. No one has asked about the box and we now have gas supply and meter. To fit it we will need to get joiner to create gaps for pipes and fit to wall - more expense - we will leave for time being and see what happens Jld

20. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Found this late. It's possible to treat mdf and buy pre treated mdf that would make it ok for this use as far as I am aware. It's sometimes used to make wooden fire surrounds as well.

John
    -