Firewall Construction

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dam0n, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Hi all,

To set the scene, I have a old semi detached cottage which I'm currently in the process of restoring. It's a solid little place though, they really don't make them like they used to!

Out the back of the house there an old brick + stone walled single story extension that is mirrored on the neighbours side. Unfortunately in the loft space there is no firewall between the two.

The dividing wall is solid brick of 230mm thickness and runs up until it hits the loftspace. I'm in the process of removing the false ceiling and opening up the extension (its the kitchen) to full height so really need to get a firewall put in (it should have one anyway I guess).

Can I use aerated lightweight breeze blocks for this job or does it have to be something more substantial?

The size of the firewall will be

Height: 1550mm
    Length: 1850mm

Thanks very much in advance,

Damo

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I seen it done in a loft on a long run of houses with no walls between the properties loft spaces. They were bricked up with concrete blocks. No idea if this is still current practice.

3. Working On It

Working On It Member

I'm pretty sure they are fire resistant to about 2 hours, so would be acceptable, that said you could stud and fire board it...

Dam0n likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dam0n likes this.
  5. Working On It

Working On It Member

Dam0n likes this.
  6. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

8. KIAB