First fix rads for new extension 8,10 or 15mm?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by imcalledal, May 19, 2016.

1. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

Hi All,

Building a new extension for a client of ours and need to run first fix rad pipes to extend their current system. They have a relatively old system but it works well with hot water tank etc.

We were wanting to run 8 or 10mm plastic on coil over block work to rad locations prior to palsterboarding for speed and to hide as many pipes as possible.
    Is this size bore suitable for this system? Would it cause any issues or is it not really relevant - they will be coming off a manifold from 22mm existing pipework or similar.

Any advice, should i keep it to 10mm out of the two smaller? I notice there don't seem to be too many 10/8mm rad valves about but notice all new builds seem to be one or the other.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mircobore is a nightmare, especially 8mm.:eek:

Honeywell,Danfoss, plus a few other tvr's in 8mm & 10mm are available.
    Also radiator valve pipe reducers 15mm to 10mm, 15mm to 8mm availble.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  3. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

Why is it a nightmare?
    What if it was only in 10mm in the walls - so maybe 2.5 - 3m run max and then switch to 15mm in loft?

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

15mm every day, Microbore was good in its day to install, BUT and its a big BUT, has proved to cause significant problems further down the line. As soon as the electrolytic action starts happening (and it will despite all the chemicals in the world) there is the potential for blockage and reduced flow. This will occur regardless of your pipes being copper or any of the plastic forms. The muck is the radiators breaking down over a long period of time.

You have said your clients have an old system, adding microbore to and existing system probably fully of crud is asking for trouble. You might not get the call back, but someone will.

Up to you and your conscience.

In my mind and experience, 8 and 10mm pipe in a heating circuit is/was a failed experiment.

Brian_L and KIAB like this.
  5. Well, you can't argue that 15mm copper is pretty much bomb proof but it can certainly be an eye sore. My preferred method is to sink a single gang metal box behind the rad and drop 10mm hep to it. The hep is continuous out of the box via John Guest face plate and into a pair of 10mm push fit/15mm Techtite chrome stem elbows. Real neat and tidy and you can hardly see the pipework. Not had a problem so far. Obviously not suitable for a massive radiator!

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

8mm works perfectly well, I live in a house that done in 8mm with a manifold. Had problems with a couple of rads when we moved in but easy to fix. It works fine imo, the only downside is that it's can be unforgiving if not topped up with inhibitor.

7. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

"15mm copper is pretty much bomb proof but it can certainly be an eye sore"

For what it's worth, not speaking as a plumber, but as a competent DIYer, and ocassional tradesman customer I don't find 15mm copper piping to be an eyesore... so long as it's done tidily, and to a good standard, I actually enjoy it's appearance.
    It does have to be the work of a craftsman however!

I'll get me coat!

Regards,

Cando

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I often convert micro bore up to 15mm tails when fitting towel rads etc. Just think it looks neater coming out the wall.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You have hit the nail on the head Dave.:)

I've seen 8mm &10mm pipe virtually blocked solid with crud, it was so bad, customer ended up replacing the whole lot with 15mm.

You will regret fitting microbore.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Also, I've been told that micro borr came about due to copper shortage back in the day...not sure if there is any truth in that?!

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I remember something along those lines, microbore date back to the early 70's & maybe before then, & I'm also sure there was also a 6mm version.

Yorkshire Copper Tube still list 6mm minibore pipe.:eek:

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I always fit 15mm chrome pipe to towel rads, it should be the only pipe work that's visible in a bathroom.
    There's nowt wrong with 10mm microbore imo, providing the runs aren't too long on a standard size system.

13. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

My old fella was a plumber,I remember back in the day him saying microbore would cause problems and it does,as others have said it cruds up very easily if the system isn't maintained properly and lets be honest,how many homeowners bother to look after things like heating systems? most just wait 'til they break down.The worst one I ever came across was a guy who'd added a couple of rads in an extension,to make things easier he'd used 10mm so it could be buried in the walls.The only thing was the existing was piped in 15mm,he couldn't work out why the new rads wouldn't get warm,he never considered that the water would take the path of least resistance,I ended up repiping in 15mm.

14. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

Load of piffle, dont be tight do it proper only reason in my mind for microbore is cheapness, lazyness and profit, installers luv it but not around when it goes **** up, get it all the time blocked pipes or dodgy valves suffering the slightest knocks, monkies overtightening and crushing everything.. Should be banned especially 8 mil *****

KIAB likes this.
  15. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Cant ban it, there would be no gas fires without it :eek:

16. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

Haha ban them too.. Filthy things avin to service all the **** behind em

Dave does Gas likes this.