First for me on EICR...

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by 14th edition, May 13, 2015.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Just checking out the back of this HMO and found a washing machine outside the back door completely in the open and initially thought it had been dumped outside as it was in such a state. It was actually connected to an unswitched outdoor socket and completely plumbed in for H/C and waste. Wonder what the IP rating of a washing machine is...?
    Also found 5 flats on one 100a supply at same place, looks a recent update to 100a as well, surprised they did it TBH. Plasterers had been asked 'to drop in a couple of cooker supplies' whilst they were there. We got writers cramp!

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

5 flats on a 100a cu prolly not that bad. Recently found oven, dish washer, washing machine, tumble dryer, all kitchen sockets, all 1st floor sockets, central heating, shower pump and towel rail all running off 1 16amp re-wireable fuse. Had been like it for years.

3. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Curious though it may seem seeing a washing machine outside, it doesn't actually fall under the remit of an EICR.

(As it happens, years a go living in shared accommodation the washing machine was kept outside and run off an extension lead. Only thing it didn't like was freezing weather, but it survived for a few years.)

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Can't beat the old re-wireables can you Col!

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Lol yea, lucky it was all coming out. There were two 30 a ways but one of them did nowt. Looked like someone had ****** up the 2nd ring and moved it onto the 16 a way rather than sort it out.

The ground floor ring was about 5 sockets, on a30 a way lolz

6. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

HMO, LL has responsiblity for any appliances he supplies, socket was also open. If we hadn't reported it and someone had been injured or killed guess who the LL would blame?!

7. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have a problem with failing an EICR for non installed items. I have gone into new houses where the builder has set up lights to dry plaster the routes of the cables clearly were not permitted where likely to get jammed under doors etc. However it was also clear these would all be removed once completed. Same goes for a house being put up for sale all items which are plugged in to me should be ignored.

The ESC on their guides indicate this should be a failure but I really don't see how one can as the testing of portable appliances is not in your remit.

Even for portable appliances you are brought a box full of items and you should record where tested so since your in caretakers office all will have that location. However they are not used there and you really have no idea where they are used. So do you give minimum time 3 months as may be used on construction jobs or just bang 12 months on everything?

I think the only real way is to write a separate letter or note detailing problems which are not within the remit.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Not quite on topic, but, I was chatting to my sparky mate yesterday and we got to talking about finding mad stuff everywhere. He said he installed a fully loaded RCBO CU for his uncle a year back and was asked to do a rewire but his uncle wouldn't accept the price. So he went with another quote and the dimwit took out the brand new fully loaded RCBO board and replaced it with a dual RCD!!! it makes me so angry to hear about idiots like this operating in society.

9. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Not sure that a washing machine can be described as portable?
    Of course the requirement in the current Regulations is to provide RCD protection for mobile equipment.
    Not sure a washing machine can be described as mobile either?
    Is it on wheels?

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Some bloke carried a fridge across Eire for a bet.

11. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Then I suggest you look at the Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment, 4th Edition.