first post,pls b kind

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by jakie, Aug 11, 2015.

1. jakie

jakie New Member

first,i m so bad in diy!
    we just moved into a new property,its got a porch with the exposed brick walls and a small circle shaped window where we can see through to the landing plus a light fitting !
    i just need to get the exposed brick wall covered up!
    can anyone recommend what is the best and cheap to do?
    got a plastering quote for £220 leaving the space around the window.
    but another handyman told me to go for plastic panel sheets just to stick on the top!
    i m not sure whether panel sheets will stay forever or better to do plastering?
    i am not going hang anything there and just doing to make add more homely feel from the start of the house as it will look better and bigger!
    any ideas will be helpful as i am just fed up googling!
    thanks

2. Hi Jakie.

You newbie, you.

Don't be scared - we're nice here... :rolleyes:

A photo would help us to visualise what yer on aboot, but you have loads of options here, many of which are DIYable.

T&G timber cladding, for instance - feels and looks real cosy and homely. Can be stained, varnished or painted - all look good.

Or T&G plastic cladding - same as above, except less finishing to do, low maintenance, etc.

Or, chust paint the bricks. Neat bricks can be a nice effect inside a porch or connie. Perhaps painted a 'warm' colour would do? Since it's inside, orn'ry emulsion paint will do.

Anyways, can you post a photo?

3. jakie

jakie New Member

hi there,
    thanks for the reply & the ideas
    got the photos below!
    as u can see the porch doors have been added to the existing walls to make it in to the porch!
    don't want to just paint it over.
    but want to know which is the cheapest option to cover it up!
    do give your thoughts!
    thanks again

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_3029.JPG

4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Shame to cover that nice brickwork especially round the circular window.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

Get a planter & stick something in that will climb, but not go too rampant, & cover the wall.

6. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

Stick a Mila Kunis poster up.

Job's a good'un

chippie244 likes this.
  7. PaulBlackpool

Seriously your house will be worth more with the brickwork uncovered than covered. Your photo contains architectural features an estate agent would drool over.

8. PaulBlackpool

Seeing as you are only 46 I will let you off. If I had said that at my age I would be a perv.
    She is a stunner though isn't she?;):D

9. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

I agree with the rest just keep the brickwork, with it being a porch you will end up leaving wet shoes, wellies and coats etc in there, if you plaster and paint it it will look gruby in no to time with wet marks etc.

10. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

I've been seen with worse. :D

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  11. jakie

jakie New Member

Oh! Thanks guys ! Will leave it like tht then... Even I don't want to ruin that circle window..
    But plastering guy suggested to cut out the plasterboard around where the diagonal bricks starts, leaving to expose the feature n the bricks!

Will that look good ??

12. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I don't think so. :( see what others say.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Leave it as it is.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It will look cheap and nasty...leave well alone.;)

15. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If I were you I'd plaster it.

Only joking. :)

Looks good as it is.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Never take artistic advice off plasterers, they are all pigs.

17. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I love it but I'm so minimalist I would get rid of the plant. And the window bars. In actual fact I would love to see the windows replaced with unpainted metal Critall style ones. A couple of frameless prints of whatever in the same shape as the windows would be strking in B&W. A tall Big Ben on the left and a round London Eye on the right. But thats just my 2p worth.

18. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

LOL ;)

19. jakie

jakie New Member

Lol..!!.. Thts very creative..!

Anyway, thanks to all ... I would have spend money to spoil the nice feature ! Not wont be doing that mistake!