First Stud Wall Project

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Looks very neat, Jit :)

Blimey, you love your 'temporary' bits, don't ya? :D

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's going to be a handy store for a while, the problem is always finding space for materials, and things get messy very quickly.

this area will eventually become part of the landing, and the paramount partition to the left will be knocked down, which have stairs behind.

Looks like the council may agree for the part wall, but have requested the 'method statement', I think I will have to write this up and no builder so far has been interested in the job.

Once the steels go in things will start to move.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

A couple of tips ...

If you have a lot of boarding to do, buy a Fein M-gun https://fein.com/en_uk/fastening/dry-wall-screw-guns/sct-5-40-m-015952/ and collated screws. I got one a few years back and the time saved by the labourers putting up board paid for it ... a full 2400x1200 can be screwed in place in 3 minutes - how long does it take doing it with loose screws and a driver or with nails?

Before you plaster, get a few packs of electrical fixing screws and put them into all of the back box fixings - it stops plaster ending up in them.

FatHands likes this.
  4. paj

paj Member

Jitender, Great looking project. Can I ask you about your doors? I really like the look of them and am thinking of changing mine. At the moment I have flush white painted doors and they look a bit dated and are such a pain to paint. How do you intend to treat them?

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

They're contemporary oak fire doors (hence 1 1/2 pair hinges). Were expensive at about £153 each.

They can be supplied per-finished, but chose to do this myself. Will look at using a matt finish in oil, don't want to affect the color to much, but this is inevitable when applying a finish.

This one seem good osmo door oil

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Doors are made by XL Joinery.

Wickes also sell doors, and they have an offer on at the moment.

7. zooloo

zooloo New Member

Dont take this the wrong way, but why would you turn plaster boards on their side like that? what's wrong in having them upright like they are supposed to be installed, as per good practice guides from British gypsum, and warranty providers like NHBC, who produce a consistent guide to finishes.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was in B&Q today, and they have oak shaker doors on sale reduced from £74 to £25!