first time tiler.....help:-)

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by grace2much, Jun 17, 2015.

1. grace2much

grace2much New Member

I'm going to tile our bathroom at home. I am a retired plumber due to ill health and have always left the tiling to tilers up to now. But I have lots of spare time and I will enjoy trying to make a neat tidy job, but I need some advice from professional tilers.

Is there any reason why I could not use the 600x600 sparkle black floor tiles in the shower walls with a few cuts (just a 760 x 760 shower tray/enclosure) I am assuming I would need really strong adhesive and waterproof grout? I like this idea (apart from the nice appearance) as I would have less joints for water penetration and I could use black grout so again easier to keep clear.

I will have lots more basic questions as I move closer to starting.....thanks in advance for any help offered

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You prob could...if you really wanted, however, for a small shower, you would prob be better off with using smaller tiles. I presume you've got these left over from other work?

You need to check to see if your wall substrate will support the weight of the tiles first...

Generally recommended to tank a shower enclosure before tiling or at least make sure you get a consistent complete covering of adhesive.

You'll need cement based 'bagged adhesive' due to size of tile.

You'll need a good cutter etc to deal with the size.

Set out tiles from edge of tray and work in with cut tiles in the corner to allow for them being out of plumb.

Also check that with the added thickness of tile, your enclosure will still sit on the tray properly.

Silicone corners and around tray, don't grout as it'll likely crack over time and let water through.

Gatt likes this.
  3. grace2much

grace2much New Member

thanks for this cgn, the wall finish is smooth sand and cement so there should be enough strength to hold the tiles.

CGN likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Check how 'flat' your walls are with a straight edge/level etc. obviously, the flatter the better, but will determine if you need to use a bigger notch trowel for adhesive and adjustment of 'flatness'.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And make sure you seal that wall with the recommended sealer for your adhesive(even though it's an anomaly being floor tiles n all)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really