First time tiling, need a bit of advice please

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

TIling my bathroom this week with 250x500mm 7mm ceramic tiles and a mosaic border and was wondering what is the best adhesive to use? I have tanked all the shower, bath and basin areas with an aquaseal kit and the rest that isn't going to get wet is untreated plasterboard. Do I need to prime the untanked plasterboard or can I tile straight on?

Also, am I right in thinking that the best wall to start from would be the one where the window is?

Thanks!

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

DIY comment

Yes, its a good idea to prime the untreated plasterboard with a suitable primer e.g. bal prime

My own preferred adhesive is:-

http://www.dunloptrade.com/products/set-fast-plus-floor-wall-tile-adhesive/

mainly because my builders merchant sells it and its a good price for a high performance adhesive.

Difficult to know which is the best wall to start from. If you have a laser level use it to work out where the cut edges are all round. Personally I'd start on the biggest wall from a batten set at the first full tile above the bath or shower tray. Go up the wall getting everything flat, then cut downwards. The walls with windows and doors in are far easier to fiddle around any variations in flatness

3. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks for the reply, all done now, just grouting left to do. Used Al Murad's own bagged stuff in the end, the waterproof flexible slow set for the shower and bath and the rapid set for the rest. It seems to have done the job, nothing's fallen off yet, anyway! :)

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

there you go. Good sense of satisfaction hopefully.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  5. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Yes, definitely, a couple of big balls ups, but nothing that couldn't be fixed!