Fishing Problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by frogger, Jan 29, 2015.

1. frogger

frogger Member

Hello. I'm tearing my hair out (if I had any) trying to 'fish' through the ceiling space from a raised floorboard but my rods keep catching on a wooden 'batten' which goes across between the two joists. It's catching on the first batten and yet I have four or five of these to negotiate. Does anyone have any tips/tricks of the trade as to how I can get around this problem (literally). Is there anything I can attach to the front of the lead rod so it will just 'glide over' any such obstacles.

[​IMG]

2. pete4690

pete4690 New Member

You could try attaching some rigid copper wire bent into a hook like shape so went its the batten it should lift and goover them...could be worth a try bud

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

put a sharp bend at the front of the rod ;)

4. frogger

frogger Member

I tried that tom plum but the rod just turns so the bend is flat with the surface and still snags. I think I need something round like a ball so it'll just 'bump' over the obstacles. I'm going crazy over this.
    Your idea is similar pete4690. The rod just turns as I push it.

5. pete4690

pete4690 New Member

Ping pong ball? Lol

6. frogger

frogger Member

A pin pong ball might work but how to attach it so it stays put. Lots of tape perhaps.

7. pete4690

pete4690 New Member

Drill a hole in it a fraction smaller than the rod itself so its a tight fit a bring a few spares just incase it comes off or yeah tape

8. camels toe

camels toe Member

Give it a good shake up and down. Instead of rods could try some mini trunking lid?

9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi,
    can you open up a floor board further back to what you have open now? this might allow you to get more of a straight run (and tighter to the floor, hopefully missing the noggin)

10. frogger

frogger Member

I don't really want to take up more floorboards FatHands. I've taken two up already which meant sawing them and getting the nails out and they're tongued and grooved so I couldn't remove further along with taking up all the intermediate ones.

11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Trunking lid with a bend up at the end.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Once you've got a crook(less than 90º) at the end of the rod, when touching the batten obstacle, turn the rod through 360º or more, pushing gently, and the crook will walk over the batten.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. frogger

frogger Member

It's quite a long run - about fifteen feet, and I don't have any trunking.

14. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Buy a length of MT2 and use the lid then. Put an upward kink at the end.

Keep the lid for use later. I've always got one in my van or on site. Occasionally I have to fish it out of the skip when some kind soul does a site clear up.

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

put your arm in under the floor, ul be able to "lift" the roods at the same time as pushing possibly.

16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As Camels, give it a good shake whilst gently pushing, she's bound to like it.

17. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

You need Super Rods!

18. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I've had Super Rods and non-Super Rods break their ferrules and give way on me many times. For shorter distances (a room length) I've yet to have trunking lid lengths taped together pull apart or break

I still do use rods (I bought 30m worth of them once to suit one tricky route, still have about 6m serviceable), but only rarely use them.

19. frogger

frogger Member

The Super Rods look good (and expensive). I'll have to fashion a 'whisk' shape out of wire or cable I reckon.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cod and Chips wit wally?