fit kitchen wall cabinets

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wrighty wrongy, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Can you tell me please the best fixings to use for fitting kitchen wall cabinets to a studded wall.
    The cabinets are supplied with 2 small brackets which are attached to the wall and the cabinets hook onto these .Many thanks

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

search the previous posts , been said many times. various ways of doing it.

3. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Hi, you need to cut out a section of plaster board and screw plywood to the joists then you can fix to that. You can't really fix directly to plasterboard as wall cabinets are too heavy when loaded.

4. Hi WW.

You know the wee brackets you've been supplied with that screw to the wall? Well, imagine them - except stretched as long as your run of wall units.

That's what you need - continuous rail which will catch a few vertical 'studs'.

The only other mod is that the wall units will need a small amount removed from their sides adjacent to the mounting brackets so's they fit over this continuous rail - except for the ends ones.

How many wall units will be in a 'run'? How many studs will be located behind these units?

5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

does anyone manufacture these rails of infinite length?

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

7. Yup - but their lengths ain't infinite :)

GoodwithWood likes this.
  8. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

useful to know.

now we just need the device for seeing through plasterboard........

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I think that I've seen on a previous post,that someone ran a decent magnet over the wall,until it picked up on a dry lining screw & then you work vertically from there. I don't know if it works as I have never tried it. o_O;)

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

tap, tap, tap, thunk, tap, tap, tap thunk, every 400mm.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  11. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

what hammer are you using ? sounds like an estwing 16 oz.

12. Or every 16". Or possibly every 600mm. A chance it's 2'... :p

Once you mark oot where the rail is going to be mounted, you can even use a long panel pin with your 16oz Estwing. Chust tap it gently into the p'board at 1.5"-ish spacings around where you suspect the stud to be (eg - 400mm from a corner) and along the line of the bracket where it'll end up being hid, and the wee sleekit holes left behind won't be an issue.

13. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Err, it's called a stud Detector. :)