Fit Panels to Uneven Wall Corner

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jonnn, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Hello,
    I need some advice,if anyone can help.
    I have two shower wall panels, to fit in a corner shower, e.g. .
    But, think two large big sheets of stuff that need to fit into a corner.
    Anyway, because I don't live in a world of marketing videos, the plastering isn't quiet even; resulting in an uneven corner. It deviates by a couple of cm, from top to bottom.

So, after some internet hunting I think I need to scribe down the panel and cut along that line, to get it even to the corner. But....because of obstructions such as shower pipes and door frames I can't get the panel in till it's cut. The gap from the corner to the shower pipe is about 30cm.

Would the normal approach be to get a cheap plywood sheet about 25cm wide, scribe down that and use it as a template? If so, would I be better cutting it and then redrawing the line on the finished sheet, or clamping the plywood onto the sheet and cutting both at once?
    Is there a better way?

Thanks for any advise.
    Jonnn

2. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Think that's the best way of you can't get the sheet in. Cut both at once if the play is thin. Just make sure you have a good quality saw blade.

Jonnn likes this.
  3. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

What saw are you using?

Jonnn likes this.
  4. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Thanks for the advice.
    I'll give it a while and see what happens.
    Just brought a new panel saw, it's about 11 tpi.

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I take it you've already fixed one of the panels flush to the wall and this is out of plumb in the corner?

6. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

I've not done anything apart from measuring stuff, at which point I noticed the problem described.

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Are both walls out of plumb, and if so by how much?
    If you can fit the awkward panel first, the one where you need to cut out for the shower pipes and get it plumb in the corner without packing the board out a to much I'd do that one first and not worry about any gap in the corner.
    Then fit the other panel square to that.
    Packing it out as necessary.

Where will the gap be on this board, please say the top:).

8. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

They are both out of plumb.
    If I pack the corner then the panel won't be flush to the wall, which will create a problem when gluing it on (I think).

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You will be ok packing the panels out with just the adhesive to about 20mm or so.
    Anything more than that and you could either screw a few pieces of ply to the wall to make it up first (if it's really bad) or accept that the corner ain't quite plumb and work around it.
    Still get the awkward panel in first and then you can offer the easy one up to it to get your measurements.
    If you can keep the manufacturers straight cut edge where the join is that would be ideal.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The last panels I fitted were out of square straight from the manufacturer! Thankfully I noticed before I cut them :)

Are you using a corner trim?

Jonnn likes this.
  11. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. I had better check that too.
    Yes I've got a corner trim, so there's a bit of tolerance there. Unfortunately we have a chrome trim, which doesn't have a push on cover, otherwise we'd get a bit more tolerance .

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I'd be more concerned to get it tight to the wall rather than be desparate to get it absolutely plumb. You won't see it even if it leans back/forward 20-30mm (provided you don't have vertical stripes on your pattern :eek:). One of the tricks to succesful DIY is that it "if it looks right it is right" (talking about appearance only) The other trick is to halve the error, so if something has a huge out of squareness, move half of it somewhere else. For example, if your pattern did have vertical stripes, I'd be concentrating in getting the stripes as parallel as possible at the corner where any divergence will stick out like a sore thumb, even if it meant tipping the panel so the stripes weren't absolutely vertical.

Exactly!

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You're right Rusty. You can't pack these panels out with adhesive anyway as you ideally need to brace them overnight as the adhesive sets...which means they have to be tight to the wall.