fitted french doors, wont shut

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tiler7777, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Still waiting for photos, Tiler.

IF the frame is plumb and IF the frame is square, then you'd be nuts to try and sort this issue by forcing the frame out of square.

There is almost certainly a very straight-forward answer to this problem, and I don;t really want to hear you go "D'oh!".

If this door/frame set is genuinely at fault (which I have to say I doubt), then Messrs Wickes are the peeps to sort it.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have you put the frame fixings in properly,if one is slightly proud, then you ain't going to shut that door.

3. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Its beginning to sound like one or both doors have been made too big for the frame. Probably by a few mm, but that's obviously too much.

4. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Sometimes things just go right and work from the beginning, other times they just don't want to play ball, it seems as though he has tried all the logical options and it's not having it. I would say it's one of them jobs where you would physically have to be on site to see it yourself and see what's happening, it's to hard to diagnose over a messaging forum.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Have you fitted the door yourself and does the opening have enough tolerance? You don't want to be hammering a upvc frame in, especially on doors. It's not bulging in the middle a few mills is it?

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Also, is the glass in?

7. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

i have used a third spirit level the whole frame is plum.

The left door is plum when open, but when I close the door it is not plum?

I have done everything you asked no joy.

I have removed several bricks around the frame in order to wedge the frame wider in the hope that the hinge will move more left allowing more space for the door to shut.

The doors will still not shut. I am at yhe end of teather here how do I know if its a manufacturing issue?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Measure each door diagonals as you would a door frame, will tell you it's square.

Bottom hinge throwing door out of alignment?

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As supplied, the doors would have been shut and mated correctly. Sight the frame up to make sure it isn't twisted.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very good point.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Also, do you remember if the doors shut before you put the glass in? You need to use packers in the correct places when you install the glass due to the sag. If not, take the glass back out and see if they close.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just where are the doors too close to close?
    Top, middle or bottom? Or all?
    Is it just the closing side too high, or closing and hinge side ?
    Did you squeeze the door edges together as I suggested?
    Did you take those measurements?

Moving the frame across will also bring the other door across too, so will make no more gap. Removing bricks? No.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

The door is jamming at the top

So the left door is level when fully open and level at 90 degrees, when as it shuts to the frame it moves unlevel and is projecting out.

So clearly if the frame is level and the door is level when open, its some error with the hinge?

Also doors are upvc and came with glass in

I will remove the frame fixing on the left side tomorrow and try and shut it but its pretty tight against the frame.

I put a piece of timber between the doors and pushed it but all it did was crack the timber

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The left door bottom hinge NEEDS to be adjusted right. The left door top hinge NEEDS to be adjusted left.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

hinges are as you asked, still same issue left door is not plum

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You have eliminated just about everything now, including a twisted frame & your workmanship.:D
    Has to be a fault with the hinge or where hinge fixing are in frame &/or door.

17. I bet it ain't... :rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What is it then!o_O

Could it be the way he has adjusted the hinge, over adusted?

19. No flippin' idea. But I fear it's gonna turn oot to be something simple.

I mean, hinges fitted in the wrong place? Really? And surely the door and frame were supplied as one assembled unit? In which case they did fit together at some point.

Chust saying that the chances are...

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some screw not seated flush, so stopping door from closing, seen that one many times over the years.