Fitting a set of double internal doors, how do the handle work

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by happyhero, Jul 2, 2015.

1. happyhero

happyhero Member

Hi I would like to fit a double door set of doors to one room with a handle on each door to keep them looking symetrical, is there a correct way to do this and get both handles work or would one just be for show?

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Hi happy! You'll need a flush bolt to lock up one side, the doors would have to be rebated pair. You then fit a normal tubular latch with a rebate kit, two pairs of handles jobs a goodun.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Doesn't have to be a tubular latch but that's pretty much it.

4. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

doesnt have to be rebated doors either.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It does really.

6. seen it all before

Really?? I'll agree that rebated is better, but that doesn't mean they have to rebated. There is various sections of wood that can now be purchased such as J sections and T sections which can be added to one of the door styles to create a rebate.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So it becomes a rebated door. I'm not going to do a Handy and get all pedantic but the doors needs a rebate either by adding on or taking away material.

nigel willson likes this.
  8. seen it all before

No they still don't have to be rebated, you can just have the 2 doors next to each other without any rebates or added strips, as I've seen in many houses and also schools, offices and sports centres!!!

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yes you can have it on bombers but that isn't what the op is talking about or wanting.

10. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

The question is would both handles operate the same? No they can't. As the moving parts of a catch on the opening door engages with the fixed strike plate on the other door.