Fitting consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by quokka, Nov 23, 2003.

1. quokka

quokka New Member

I'm hoping to install a new consumer unit. Is it permitted to hire an electrician to do this or must it be done by the electric board?
    Thanks.

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

An electrician

BR

3. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

as supersparky says,an electrician.

Due to the nature of the job I would not recomend any DIY'er no matter how competent they feel, as they would have to isolate the incoming supply and how would they do that then?? ;),leave it to someone who knows the ropes.

To answer your question,yes again a qualified electrician.

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

...as they would have to isolate the incoming supply and how would they do that then?...

By using the isolation switch on the incoming supply, of course. How would a professional electrician do it? I hope you aren't going to suggest he would cut the seals on the main fuse and pull it out.

5. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

By using the isolation switch on the incoming supply,
    of course. How would a professional electrician do
    it? I hope you aren't going to suggest he would cut
    the seals on the main fuse and pull it out.

I'm afraid so, it is standard practice, according to BS7671:2001 which implies "The Contractor shall cut the seals on the Company Fuse, and withdraw the fuse holder in order to isolate the supply, before attempting any work on the consumer unit". hope that helps.

6. sparky Si-Fi

how else would he do it if there is no main isolator originaly installed to isolate the tails

7. sparky Si-Fi

Just out of interest,how would you accomplish this if no main isolator is fitted to isolate the tails shed?

8. sparky Si-Fi

also just out of interest,where in the regs does it state we can cut the fuse,just wondering

9. kesh

kesh New Member

I always thought that you guys did it live!! (I have a mental picture a sparky with wellies & rubber gloves on!!
    ;)

10. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Just out of interest,how would you accomplish this if no main isolator is fitted to isolate the tails shed?

I'd get the supplier to come and fit one.

I did replace my CU some years ago - no switch, but I was fortunate to have a service connector block already there, so although I was connecting to a live supply, at no stage did I have live wires waving about.

I'd rather have had a switch though...

11. MICC

MICC Member

Why do the elec board not fit a switch?

It would stop us breaking their seals, sometimes if a CU has burnt out (or is over heating) you have no choice but to cut their seals and carry out the works, I have worked with LIVE cables, but not when changing a consumer unit too much of a risk.

12. MICC

MICC Member

Just out of interest,how would you accomplish this
    if no main isolator is fitted to isolate the tails
    shed?

I'd get the supplier to come and fit one.

Well sheds I had a job once to replace 6 risers to a small block of flats and thought I would try and do it by the book.
    The cables were run the day before and a Ryefield board was fitted ready for the big day.
    The electricity board said their electricans would turn up between 8-10am to cut their seals and return between 4-6pm to re-seal and check the works.
    Thet turned up at 9.55am thus wasting nearly 2hrs work for us and of course did not turn up till after 6pm to re-connect.
    When I complained about it to their electrican he said why did I bother waiting for them as no one else did.
    So much about doing it by the book.

I had heard years ago that the elec board were thinking of letting approved electricans (nic) work on their meters. Any one heard about this?

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Well sheds I had a job once to replace 6 risers to a small block of flats and thought I would try and do it by the book.....When I complained about it to their electrican he said why did I bother waiting for them as no one else did. So much about doing it by the book....

Since the whole justification touted by NICEIC etc for Part P is that it's far too dangerous for anybody to do electrical work except people who can be trusted to do it "by the book", I don't think you should be saying things like that.... ;)

14. percyw

percyw New Member

Incidentally, when I fitted a new consumer unit , I contacted my electricity supplier to pull the fuse but instead they sent an electrician to fit an isolator switch making the job easy. The service was also free!!

15. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Which supplier/part of the country are you, Percy?

16. percyw

percyw New Member

Which supplier/part of the country are you, Percy?

Scottish Power / Cheshire

17. quokka

quokka New Member

Sorry haven't quite got the hang of this computer talk thing yet and posted a new topic! Anyway, thanks for the replies but am still a bit confused. What will the electric board say/do if I get an electrician to fit the consumer unit?

18. sparky (Original)

sparky (Original) New Member

I'm afraid so, it is standard practice, according to BS7671:2001 which implies "The Contractor shall cut the seals on the Company Fuse, and withdraw the fuse holder in order to isolate the supply, before attempting any work on the consumer unit". hope that helps.

what it does say is

I quote
    25. - (1) No person shall make or alter a connection from a distributor's network to a consumer's installation, a street electrical fixture or to another distributor's network without that distributor's consent, unless such consent has been unreasonably withheld.

19. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I'm afraid so, it is standard practice, according to BS7671:2001 which implies "The Contractor shall cut the seals on the Company Fuse, and withdraw the fuse holder in order to isolate the supply, before attempting any work on the consumer unit"

Blimey. What's the PSC of the incoming supply? 5kA? 10kA?

I quote
    25. - (1) No person shall make or alter a connection from a distributor's network to a consumer's installation, a street electrical fixture or to another distributor's network without that distributor's consent, unless such consent has been unreasonably withheld.

Does that mean that sparkies should not remove/replace main fuses (altering and making a connection) unless they have asked and the distributor has unreasonably said "no", or do the two statements together mean that the distributors are deemed to already have given permission for the "Contractor shall cut the seals on the Company Fuse" etc? And if so, given that we are still pre- Part P, what is the definition of "contractor"?

20. sparky Si-Fi

I reckon the definition of contractor sheds is 'The buck stops here'this is I reckon the most grayest of grey areas.

I am not sure if this would have any relevence,but I think I am right in saying that the electricity at work regulations act states that "no person shall work on live equipment"............okey dokey....now what do we all do?!