Fitting downlighters in an existing radial circuit

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by romangreek, May 13, 2017.

1. romangreek

romangreek New Member

Apologies I'm a first timer,
    My Son is purchasing a flat away from home and i've had a look around last week, the CU is uptodate and the surface mounted wiring throughout is basic but up to date.
    I believe the lighting circuit is a 6a cu mcb radial circuit and I want to replace all the existing ceiling roses for junction boxes and install between 2 and 4 down lights in each room.
    There are currently 10 separate ceiling roses and 9 switches in the FLAT and I want to replace 6 roses ( via junction boxes) for 4 downlights each, 2 roses for 2 downlights each and 2 roses for 2 downlights on a like for like basis.
    Unfortunately as time was limited I didn't have time to look specifically at the mcb layout but would assume there is only presently 1 circuit in the property, I would also further assume there is a spare fuse space in the CU.
    I wish to purchase 3 packs of the lap fixed LED downlight contractor packs - 30 downlights in total.
    Q) can I fit 30 downlights off 1 circuit as they are led bulbs?
    any other info would be appreciated
    Please be aware that I am a tradesman and I am respectful of other tradesman and the part P regulations, my concerns are that 1) I don't know any electricians in the new area. 2) I'm trying to help get my Son on the housing ladder without breaking the bank. if its not feasible i'll accept that, or any other advice offered.
    Thanks for bearing with me, it will be interesting to see your responses

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Rite. We don't use junction boxes any more, joints are done at light positions with small boxes mainly using push fits!. That s a lot of work for somebody whose not electrician. How are you going to carry out the appropriate testing etc??

3. romangreek

romangreek New Member

Thanks for replying, I was thinking of using the waco joints, and to be honest i was hoping to call an electrician in to carry out the test upon completion, ideally I would like a retired or semi retired electrician to come in and give me a hand , but Im not familiar with the location

4. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Leave it until he can afford to do it properly.

nigel willson likes this.
  5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

WAGO!!!!. You be also got to get across lots of joists!!!!! Get a sparks in.