Fitting Junction boxes or not !

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Crankshaft, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Yes , sorry it was a 35mm box , I still did not like placing a double socket back in with all them ( 3 x T+E 2.5mm2 wires ) attached for the spur take off , even for a 35mm back box there is still not a lot of room at the rear of the box when the socket is placed back in , I am sure they used to make deeper back boxes in the past ! .

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Crankshaft likes this.
  3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I don't know if it's applicable in your situation but I'll chime in anyway. When I had a partial rewire done, my sparky put a mixture of Wagos and JB around the place and made them accessible my putting them behind sockets and switches. I have about four blank plates on deeper wall boxes with Junctions inside, and he gave me a diagram of where any joints can be found. This has been useful as I've added a few spurs and changed light fittings and for example, all the light fittings only have one supply cable, and the joins that would usually be in a ceiling rose are all behind the swiches.

Crankshaft likes this.
  4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, easier for you but then the householder comes along and puts down laminate, (or engineered wood) flooring. Over the years the termination loosens and a fault occurs, nobody knows the junction box is there, even if they do its a rip up that nice floor job.

Don't think it doesn't happen. I have been on underfloor/broken continuity hunts several times. And its always time-consuming, frustrating and expensive to make good for the customer.

Crankshaft likes this.
  5. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Yes , did not think of that , phew .

6. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

7. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Could he have done it himself ( changed a socket like for like ) without needing to self certify , which he would not be able to do ! .

8. I recently discovered that when an extra socket was added to my ringmain the JB is *behind* plastic backbox. The clue was this is written on backbox. Does this count as accessible? I would have to completely remove socket, causing damage to decoration.
    There is depth because its behind a stud wall of conservatory which backs onto house. Is this a usual thing to do? Will the electrician have used a non maintenance JB or a standard one?
    Many thanks
    Ps apologies for jumping on someone else's post. Hope this is not considered rude?

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Welcome to the forum.You should start your own thread. Once reading the original post and seeing it's 4 years old people lose interest.

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

@a little bit of knowledge
    Agreed. Start new topic and you’ll get help.

if you hijack another topic, not only is it bad manners, you’ll also probably only get replies from those who had subscribed to the topic.
    A new topic puts u at the top of the list and more will look at it.