Fitting Kitchen

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Thomas Cheers, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Thomas Cheers

Thomas Cheers New Member

I shall try to make this short i am getting a kitchen fitted by local large company start wednesday ripped old kitchen out i need a plumber and electrician moving washing machine and need extra sockets kitchen fitter says we cannot realy do much as electrician needs to put sockets in electrician wants carcasses in "before" he puts sockets in kitchen fitters tell me this is wrong i have "NO" KITCHEN AT ALL till at least monday i would of thought it would be electrician who put sockets in first then kitchen fitters is this correct Thank you

2. Bennjy12345

Bennjy12345 Member

Give the electrician a drawing and Mark out the carcases. He should be able to work it all from a drawing with ease. I've never been in after the kitchen fitter it would be a nightmare. How would you plaster nearly.

3. "Ooookkaaaayy, I'll just remove these newly-installed wall units so's I can chase a cable run down behind it..."

Your sparky seems to be a twit.

If he can't work out the heights of the various sockets, then he is a twit.

I presume you do have a good, accurate layout plan showing where everything is going?

No? Then you are the twi... :rolleyes:

(Hey, it's pishing down - I'm grumpy.)

You should know the exact locations of every switch and socket wot's going in that room, so your sparky should be able to fit all that before the kitchen fitters arrive.

(Best work out wot exact height above the worktops you want your sockets, tho' - that might be influenced by the tiling, for example.)

4. Thomas Cheers

Thomas Cheers New Member

5. Thomas Cheers

Thomas Cheers New Member

i agree "but i am not a twit ha ha" kitchen fitter came said to me electrician is following we will make units up as in diagram showed this to electrician "no you put carcasses in i will work round them" kitchen fitters left because as you say wrecking new cupboard "we are left so frustrated but it is rented accomadation"

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Has the electrician said why he wants the units in first ?

The only reasons I can think he has is :

Making sure the sockets are at least 150mm from the worktop
    Wiring in an extractor fan
    Sockets for under the counter appliances or cooker / hob

As people have said previously the normal practice is to "first fix" any sockets or appliance wiring. Then the units followed by second fix - putting the covers on the sockets wiring the appliances etc.

Any socket for an under the counter appliance should have an isolater which is accessible away from the appliance. These should be fitted before the units are installed

7. Thomas Cheers

Thomas Cheers New Member

8. Thomas Cheers

Thomas Cheers New Member

9. Thomas Cheers

Thomas Cheers New Member

hi there is no extractor fan every extra socket is in a very accesable position "kitchen fitters totally agreed with everything everybody has said "i think he presumes the work must revolve around him as far as i think there is no reason why these sockets are not already in place

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I guess perhaps he is too busy (or doesn't) want to do the work right now and wants to put a delay down to the kitchen fitters

11. Time for a new sparkie?

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, trouble is because this is rented accommodation maybe the OP hasn't a choice

But is sparkie has either too much or too little spark.

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Nah, get another sparkie now.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Depends if the landlord is paying ....

15. Bennjy12345

Bennjy12345 Member

Surly the landlord is payi g if it's rented