Fitting Loft Boards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by deanalewis, Mar 30, 2014.

1. deanalewis

deanalewis Member

Hi Folks,

I am looking to install loft boards however One single board will not reach between 4 beams fully often falling short of the 4th beam by afew inches. Is there anything I can get that I can place on the beam like a support.

I seen in this picture: http://www.post-carbon-living.com/PCH_Pictures/Insulation131172.jpg

Where there is a bit of metal on one of the beams. This is exactly what I would be looking for. Does anyone know what they are called?

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Is this a wind-up or not? If the boards are too short , then just screw another piece of timber alongside the exisiting joists. Maybe my builder friends will shoot me down on this, but I really can't see a problem. :oops:

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could cut the boards down to fit.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you're on route there to fueling the economy, Once you've made that attic a storage space, you'll begin to fill it with all the crup in your bedrooms,drawers,under the stairs and corners of your house, you will feel great at first cos you've solved a clutter problem, but slowly but surely you will start to fill up the empty spaces faster than a tramp on a kipper, then you'll need a bigger attic,So you build an extension and the process starts all over, STOP NOW, think, stop buying shoite from £1 shops,

Phil the Paver and chippie244 like this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You been round my house, that is exactly what happened. :p

6. deanalewis

deanalewis Member

My Fiance and I have bought a house and she is moving in so allot of the stuff that is from her Parents House is coming to ours so we need a bit of extra space.

See I would screw a wood batton but I would also like to beable to walk along the attic? And If screwing a wood batton to a beam is the idea then would this not create stress?

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Cut the boards to fit existing joists.

8. deanalewis

deanalewis Member

I would but they are extremely narrow joists

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If they are too thin for both edges of your loft board to sit on then they are too thin to take the weight of the loft boards and whatever junk you want to put up there and your ceiling is going to collapse.

Sean_ork likes this.
  10. deanalewis

deanalewis Member

What I mean is say If I have a loft board it will cover 3 joists perfectly well. It will however fall 1 inch short of reaching the 4th Joist. What I am wondering is there any plates or whatever that can bridge this gap that will alow the structure to remain solid.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They are called cleats and you make them yourself or you do what you have already been told.

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The first board might only be an 1" short of the 4th joist, but that then means the second board will be 2" maybe 3" short depending how you started, the 3rd board will then be even shorter and so on, so as already been said, cut the boards down to suit the joists, not mess about trying to suit the boards.:rolleyes:

13. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

OPTIONS,
    Either cut the boards.
    Glue and screw timber to side of joist.
    Fix two pieces of timber at right angles to the joists.
    Use tongue and grooved flooring.
    Get a Joiner in.

Is this a Cut or Trussed roof?

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You lose the will to live sometimes.

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Has anyone thought of putting manufactures instructions in the loft board packs? it seems there's a need, :rolleyes:

16. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Think laminated flooring and apply that logic to loft boards! As chippie said, cut board to suit width of ur 3 joist.