fitting New light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by im no electrician, Jul 25, 2015.

1. im no electrician

im no electrician New Member

Hi

Putting up a bathroom light, stupidly didn't pay attention to the previous set up.

The wires coming out of ceiling each with three smaller ones (red, black, green/yellow).

I think all the red go together but don't go into light.
    All earth go together and attach to the light to ground it.
    The black ones I need two going into light together and one going in seperately.....

I've got two black going into neutral (to fitting) and one going into live (into fitting) is this right?

I've tried all three black wires as the single one and had the following results....

1, the double switch turns both my hall light and bathroom light on but dimly(and turns both off)
    2, fuse trips
    3, switch doesn't work and light for bathroom light always on but hall light switch works......

Help.

2. im no electrician

Any help would really be appreciated. Just can't afford an electrician. Just getting so frustrated with it. I've done two other light fittings with no problems.

Thank you in advance

I should also mention the bathroom light and hall light are connected to a double light switch

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You must have wired it correctly when you had scenario 1 but not sure what you mean by 'dimly' referring to the bathroom light.

4. Shoulda woulda coulda situation but smart phones are marvellous things when it comes to replacing electrics like for like, Take a pic of where all the wires went then rewire according to the pic :)

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

In series.

You may well have thought you did the other lights correctly, but could have got one of those wrong, and this is impacting on this light.

Photo of behind double switch?
    Do you have a multimeter?

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yup. Makes more sense now. :)

7. im no electrician

Thanks for replies

By dimly I mean it looks as if the power from one fitting is being shared between both and making the light dimmer.
    The other lights were downstairs and so on a different circuit? Also the previous light was working correctly for months after the other two lights were changed.
    I don't have a multimeter.
    Photo of behind switch to follow.

8. im no electrician

9. im no electrician

10. im no electrician

11. im no electrician

Left side is new light fitting

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It is quite normal to have a live feed in to a switch and loop it across for the feed to the other switch. It doesn't mean it will share the load like you imagine it just saves on cores in to the switch.That would be the red and red link. However, the red and red link would usually be in the COM or common of the switches and the link should go to the common of the other switch. In a one way switch it doesn't actually matter because it will still switch and work correctly. That yellow wire looks as though it needs to be pushed further in to the terminal, it is showing too much copper.

13. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Think we need pics of the light wiring too.

14. im no electrician

15. im no electrician

Sorry for late reply.
    They above pic is of wires out of ceiling. Please ignore this black wire with red tape, I did this when attempting to fit.

16. im no electrician

17. im no electrician

Wires from light fitting....

Appreciate your help

18. im no electrician

Worked it out now. They live wires were not connected properly thanks