Fitting new toilets

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cliffandher, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

I am fitting new toilets in bathroom and cloakroom, I am being thick and not sure which type would fit. Our soil pipes go down through the ground in both rooms, coming out of the ground is what appears to be a plastic pan connector. The distance between the wall and the soil pipe in the bathroom is approx 200mm this is taken from wall to toilet side of the connector, it is about 120mm from centre of pipe to the wall. From the floor to the bottom of connecter is about 120mm. The toilets I have been looking at show a distance of 120mm from the wall to the back of the spigot on the pan, is there any fitting I can utilise for this toilet to fit or will it mean the cistern would not reach the wall.
    1st photo is bathroom, 2nd is cloak room and 3rd shows we have an en suite to our bathroom:D. It does mean 2 can use the loo at same time and just pass the loo roll:D:D

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Swans neck pan connector should do it, or right angle flexi. The only prob with the former is that the toilet is fixed in one position, so depending on its dimensions, the cistern may or may not go flat back against the wall. The problem with the the latter is height from outlet to floor causing too tight a bend for the pipe.
    Either way, one of those should sort it :)

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. Do a trial run with the swan-necks suggested by CGN and KIAB above, and then measure what - if any - gap you still have betwxit the cistern and the wall.

It looks as tho' you are doing fairly major work anyways, so to add a further layer of p'board - whether on thin stud spacings or not - wouldn't be a hassle to fill that gap.

Or, make it a feature - 'box-out' chust that lower section to a 'dado' height, and make it a ridge/shelf to sit nice wee things on.

So, measure the gap you have to deal with. You might find that if it's - ooh - around 3-4 inches, it might be a 'better' decision to box out that far and make a useful shelf instead of using a swan-neck and then boxing out - moving the whole wall out - chust a wee inch or so (unless space is at a premium).

Give the options some thought.

(When it comes to putting 'nice things' on the shelf, don't let your daughter do it...)

Attached Files:

Cliffandher and CGN like this.
  5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I like that paneling Dev.
    Although, if it were me, I'd bring it out to meet the back of the toilet and meet the bottom of the cistern, then you won't see the pipe:).
    But not if you're going to wee all over it:D:D.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Nice work DA :)

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  7. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Thanks for all the advice, yes it may be to move the stud wall over. Please forgive my ignorance but the pink coloured pipe going into the ground is that just a connector that I would remove to utilise the other style of connectors or would it be fixed to the main soil pipe, when lifting the carpet it appears to go below the concrete level so I assumed it was fixed and I would have to fit the new toilet into it.

8. Your middle picture - 221057 - looks like it could even be an older cast iron flange, which has some sort of filler/sealant to hold the plastic 'kwik-fit' pan connector. Is it cast iron or chust plastic?

Either way, it can be used as it is or even cut flush with the floor if you'd prefer - provided the new swan-neck (or whatevs) will reach down and go in to it a couple of inches at least.

The other two connectors are hard to ID until the pan connectors are removed.

By the 'pink' one, do you mean the one in the third pic? That looks to be specific for that pan, designed to match, so I'd expect you'd be removing that completely and using a newbie. Again, as a first step, you could cut it near-flush with the floor and then the new connector will go in to it - they have soft rubber gaskets which will cope with a large size difference. Anyhoo, once it's cut flush, you'll be able to look inside and see how far it goes, and how it connects to the deeper waste pipe - so could remove it fully too.

The swan-necked connector KIAB showed in post #3 is around 350 overall length, so that will tell you how far it'll go in to the existing pipe even if you were to cut it flush with the floor.

But, don't cut anything until you are sure it's what you want to do!

Cliffandher likes this.
  9. I hate exposed pipes, so was happy to hide the supply pipes and basin waste inside the panelling. However, what I dislike even more is obvious 'boxing in', so if I'd have taken the lower section out further to hide the pan connector, it would have been obvious why - and I wouldn't have liked it so much. So there :p

Joe95 likes this.
  10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Fair e'nuff:).

11. I do like it when someone accepts a telling orf :D

Doesn't happen very much on here... :oops:

Joe95 likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some dimensions.:)

[​IMG]