Fitting skirting on skimmed dot & dab wall

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by craigo, Jul 15, 2015.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Seriously try using foam with a gun, it is by far and away the best method, clean, quick and monumentally strong. There is no messing around with screws and plugs. It does take a little bit of trial and error to get the amount right but once you get it you will be flying.

It sticks to everything and as long as you brace it when needed etc it makes for a great job.

Biffo likes this.
  2. craigo

craigo Member

I see.

Bit confused now then - I just tried that with a 5.5mm drill bit through some of the old skirting, and there's no way I can get the red plug through the hole. :confused:. Maybe I've got large red plugs!

That's what I was worried about in the first post. :)

Maybe I should just glue it with liberal amounts of adhesive and hope for the best...

Maybe I should stick to IT and get a chippy in, but that would be admitting defeat!

Sorry, this has become more of a debate than I'd planned!

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I use a 6mm drill not a 5.5mm but the technique "sic" is to drill through and then push the plug in as far as you can by hand, then you put a no8 or 4mm screw in the plug and smack it with a hammer till it is nearly home and then drive it in with a driver,

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I use standard grade fix and fill Soudal foam. I do use polyurethane glue for some applications but 90% of the time it is standard foam. I often use mitrebond too as a temporary fix to hold the moulding in position while the foam goes off solid. IMG00130-20150622-1723.jpg

This moulding work is fixed entirely without mechanical fixings and is done with standard gun grade fill and fix foam. The wall is keyed as the numpty painters couldn't resist painting while I wasn't on site. As the emulsion was fresh it needed a scratch. Bare plaster straight on with the foam after a quick squirt with a plant sprayer

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Obviously its not a finished job! It still needs the filling completed. The frame section in the right of the picture will go where the keyed section is. The proportions look a bit odd as I am rubbish at taking photos but the skirting alone is 355mm high.

6. Tee hee!

I should have realised that the 'foam' mentioned earlier was designed for adhesive-type jobs and not for filling large holes as most foams are... :oops:

Craigo, this is your own home, and as mentioned above you have the time necessary to do it and get it looking good. Go for it, man :)

It doesn't really matter too much whether you scribe or mitre - for a new DIYer, both will need a bit of filler (and, er, that applies to not-so-new DIYers too...)

Get the skirting lengths cut and positioned first. Then you decide on the fixing method. If the boards are sitting nicely flat and require only occasional bracing to make 'em go completely flat along the whole length, then I'd personally chust stick with adhesive tbh. (First make sure the plaster skim has been mist-coated at least, or ideally with the first neat coat too - this makes the skim less absorbent and also ensures the adhesive will stick and not fail due to a 'dusty' surface.

Ok, if the skirting length is sitting nicely, then do a practice 'brace' first to ensure it doesn't get pushed in at the bottom as mentioned before. This will either need packers to fill the gap, or you might get away with it using plenty of adhesive and also only bracing along the top half of the board. Just do a trial.

Once you are happy, remove and adhere and replace. The adjacent length should also have a nice amount of solvent-free along the joining edges, whether mitred or scribed. Fit the next one the same way.

Use a very flat edge - say from a scraper - to run tightly against the profile of one board in the corner, and allow it to go into the profile of the one at right angles - ie scrape into the skirting profile to clear away excess adhesive what's squished out, and it should end up looking neat. (Ok, the adhesive will likely shrink as it dries, so a further skim of filler will liekly be required afterwards, but hopefully it's a narrow gap anyway...?)

When boards I've tried to fit have a bow in them so's they don't sit tight against the floor, what I've tended to do it hammer in a large panel pin (say a 40mm jobbie, that's only around 2mm dia) until it's almost through the board, then add the adhesive, position it, press down on the 'raised' bit with a foot and hammer the panel pin enough so's it grips the wall (it won't go in to the wall...) enough to hold it in place. Once the adhesive has set, remove pin and fills wee holes.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Why?

8. Oh, and three inch screws? :eek:

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You are entirely right DA, however you fix its all about the prep with mouldings. Get a routine going and its so much easier and quicker

10. The problem with DIYers like me - who renovate a house only every decade or so - is that we have to learn all over again.

And never learn from our mistakes 'cos we forget... :(

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes will try that goldenboy as it sounds a great method. You'd mentioned it in a previous thread and linked to a foam or gzve s brznd which didn't look like the typical stuff...presumed less 'expansive' and more like a cross between foam and 'gorilla' glue, especially given the price. Will try it out soon

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I didn't mean to...

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It is hard on this forum when there are hardened pro's and dafty diy'ers and all the spectrums in between and memories of trollers from the past to work out what your response should be.

CGN likes this.
  14. Did it hurt?

(Since we're asking questions of the bleedin' obvious... ;) )

15. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

OMG :rolleyes:

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I didn't feel a thing!!

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It did but since that I have almost cut my thumb off in a showering accident after that...

18. craigo

craigo Member

Seemed about right if it's to go through the skirting, skim, plasterboard, an inch or so air gap and then at least one inch into the block. Had some 2.5 inches already but didn't seem like they'd work as they wouldn't go very far into the bricks.

I think I mistook this for foam used for filling huge holes too, which didn't sound appropriate for my case.

I'll have a look into some fill n fix foam and see if anything looks good.

At this rate I'll end up buying every adhesive / fixing on the market and then finally bit the bullet and just improvise with whatever seems to be working best.

Last time I did this was over 5 years ago but was solid walls so seemed much easier, and as you say - I've forgotten how!

Sorry Chippie, think I missed your previous post about the 6mm,that might do it..

Either way I'm going to try not to screw anything through my fingers! :eek:

Thanks again guys.

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Can be confusing Craigo, and we're all guilty of adding to that :) Also, we're all learning new ways of doing things...and I'll quite happily embrace new ways, even if it goes against a tried and tested method....I'll sleep on it :)
    The bottom line is that you're happy with your results, and the job gets done.

There are more important things to be concerned with as the days go by....

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Btw, I tend to use 5.5mm for red plugs, my preference and it works for me, but its me drilling the hole. 6mm is also correct, and that's Chippie's preference/advice. Everyone will have their take on 'the right way to do it', all I can say is to try a few different ways till you get your own 'benchmark'.