fitting supply gas pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by spirits are real 2016, Sep 9, 2017.

1. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

i have purchased a range cooker with eight burners i need a gas supply pipe installed to the location of the cooker, in the room above is the boiler it's about 10 feet gas pipe run i would be pulling up the floorboards what i need is a rough price to expect from the gas fitter to supply and fit all the items needed and then certificate it many thanks for any advice .

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

A gas fitter would have to 1st check if it was possible to run it from where you are proposing. May not be depends

3. spirits are real 2016

ive just had two quotes to supply the gas work needed one is 220 plus parts and one was 190 what do you think of these quotes im living in the north east

4. Doall

Doall Active Member

Hard for anyone to quote blind post some pictures etc to give people a idea
    Regards david

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Even without an understanding of gas fitting, for two independent quotes to be so close to each other you would have to think you're in the ball park especially if they've been to look at the job.

The Teach likes this.
  6. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Work requested,
    1-Alter supply to install cooker point.
    2-install range style cooker to point,including commissioning.
    3-test installation carry out basic visual gas safety checks on existing appliances/installation.
    4-issue certificate.

£190 £220 sounds reasonable but there is always someone willing to cut corners.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Sounds about right, not sure a certificate is needed unless its going to be rented out. But they will need to conduct a gas tightness check i.e. that there are no leaks in the pipe work.

I had a plumber connect up a moved gas meter, took him about 1.5 hours plus some pipe work that was easily accessible and had to drill/sleeve through a cavity wall, he quoted £80 based on around 1.5 hours (£60) and materials (£20). This job sounds more like 1/2 a day or may be a bit more.

I also got some quotes chust to connect up a new gas cooker to an existing gas point, not that I went through with it. That was a standard charge of around £80 and your job is considerably more.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Always issue a certificate (CP12) after any gas works as it covers you if a Bodgit comes behind you and starts fiddling.

KIAB likes this.
  9. The Teach

Trust him,he is a DR.

Dave does Gas likes this.
  10. spirits are real 2016

thank you for all the brilliant advice no one has seen the job yet I've got a man coming Wednesday to have a look and give price now if it was water then i would do it myself but gas i do not touch.

11. The Teach

Get the floorboards up so the fitter can see the pipe run route,i dont think he will have a crystal ball as good as yours :)

12. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Hi

It’s depends simply on gas supply calcs based on kw demand

Can’t answer that one for costs, firstly it’s depending on the rest of your appliances whether a domestic meter is ok or not

13. spirits are real 2016

14. spirits are real 2016

hi the cooker came from a house which had a normal gas meter he was just redoing the kitchen and wanted to sell it my boiler is a 24kw

15. The Teach

Have you got the installation & servicing instructions for your cooker,the cooker installer may want to consult these.

16. spirits are real 2016

i haven't got any service information for it but i will contact the local church and see if they can help in any way as i take my car there every week for a service

masterdiy likes this.
  17. The Teach

Some installers,just some refuse to fit second hand gas appliances ;) But you know that.

18. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Your service your car every week?

19. G&W Plumbing & Heating

There is a Calc process to size a gas supply if it is questionable.

we always from experience know by looking at it, distance, resistance, KW’s, etc, and can make a judgement from that, if we know it will be ok we will fit it to suit, if it looks questionable we will Calc it to be sure before we commence.

Once fitted we then do the following tests

- let by
    - tightness
    - meter working inlet
    - appliance working inlet
    - gas rate

This will confirm all

I could size it for if you gave me the figs but it’s pointless because I’m just doing someone’s work fir them

20. The Teach

Cheers for that reply ;)

Your cooker installer will need the paperwork i mentioned,download it off the internet and print it. Your first post did not mention its a second hand cooker,it would have been pointed out at an early stage if we knew.