Fitting T-Hinges...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wuddy, Apr 2, 2010.

1. wuddy

wuddy Member

...onto arc

ive got a job coming up where all the doors are L&B fitted into std linings with arc (all new)

any ideas as to the best way to fit the t-hinges

my ideas at the moment are

fit all the arcs then depending on the size of the t's
    use my trend hinge jig flat to the arc and router out the arc for the t to sit

or

invest in a fein multi and cut out for the t's with the arcs already fitted - do they cut fast enough?

anyone tried the above methods or can offer any better methods?

2. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

Why not router the back of the arc. and place over the top of the T, got to look better.

3. wuddy

wuddy Member

they are blacksmith hinges rather than the thin pressed steel ones so its part of the look for them to be seen, one plot is already done

4. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

first off talk to the client and give them options as to what they can have and what they prefer!
    second i wouldnt fix the arcs over the hinges as it would cause more work if they want rid of the t&g doors and hinges later!
    personally id hang the doors and cut the arcs round the hinges, then give the client the cutouts so if they go to butt hinges later they can easily make good the arcs! ;)

5. flyingscotsman

That`s why! :) I once caught my grandad using a saw and chisel, (not at the same time you understand). The Fein is a good tool Wuddy, but if no regular usage required, the Bosch is a good alternative, with much cheaper blades.

6. wuddy

wuddy Member

good advise so far chaps

im pretty much stuck with cutting the arcs round the hinges as the client is a developer and a few plots are already done so i have to do the same

the ones that have been done look messy as they have been hand cut :(

scotty - i have already got a bosch 10.8 screwdriver so have looked at the bosch as i could but it naked

do you have the bosch?

ive read they vibrate a lot and the batterys only last 5-10mins is this the case?

hold long do you recon it would take to cut 1 hinge in with it?

how many hinges would a battery do?

how many hinges would a blade do?

sorry for all the questions :d

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

the ones that have been done look messy as they have been <u>hand cut</u>

What did a skilled timed served carpenter joiner use before the invention of all these fancy electrical tools, I wonder!

8. wuddy

wuddy Member

if you are one of them " i can do it just as good with hand tools " types forget it, times move on and jobs dont pay doing it that way any more

9. flyingscotsman

I`ve got the 240v bosch Wuds, ideal little tool, if I was using over long periods, ie 2hrs continious or such, the Fein would be better, but blades are a rip, imo. Back to the arc., how many do you have to do, is it worth the set up time for jigs and such. Tenon saw & chisel should give a sound result, quickneasy, back cut along the grain to conceal the exposed cut. :)

10. wuddy

wuddy Member

TENON SAW!!!!

ihave not owned one of them for 20 years :)

there is 15 doors so 30 cut outs to do, i would imagine if my hinge jig will adjust enough it will be quick and easy and give a clean finish without any touching up but may buy a bosch if my jig wont go wide enough

very rare i use any hand tools any more, occasionally a hand saw chisel and block plane but thats about it

11. flyingscotsman

12. flyingscotsman

P.S. Don`t know where that came from, used 1 about 3 months ago for the first time in yonks, quick sash in situ, amazingly still carry it around, along with everything else. (just in case);)