fitting tap to deep worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by w068720, Apr 5, 2012.

1. w068720

w068720 New Member

Hi

Can anyone advise how to fit a mono tap into a deep worktop, my current problem is that the screw that the fixing horseshoe and nut attaches is not long enough to reach to the bottom of the counter top

Thanks

John

2. Tembo11

Tembo11 Member

How about counter boring (sorry bad pun) from underneath a hole big enough to take the socket to tighten the nut. and deep enough so that the screwthread on the monotap protrudes through

I'd also probably put a large steel washer in there to spread the load before doing up the nut

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

It is bad practice to fit a tap into a worktop, it will soften and become loose with water seepage. always install a tap in a sink.

4. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

w068720,

What kind of worktop is it? Wood? Granite? Laminate? Solid Surface?

Depending on which type of sink has been fitted GB, there may not be any room or facility for a tap to be fitted to the sink!

Snezza31

5. nicsib

nicsib New Member

Hi John
    Best way to overcome this issue is to buy a threaded bar normaly 8 mm  and cut to length as needed
    Hope this helps
    Nick

6. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

That does help nick, thanks.
    Try to be a regular poster. I know it is Easter so you want to be a one post wonder, but think of all the help you could give me.
    CHEERS

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if its oak avoid steel contact as the tannin in the oak will react and can cause black staining

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

As advised its best avoided if at all possble, it WILL become a problem in time. :(

9. dowhat?

dowhat? New Member

Perhaps I've misunderstood the OP but I'm not sure that I agree with the 'NEVER' mentality.  I've fitted many taps through the worktop (solid wood mostly), especially when used with an undermount sink.  And yes, counterbore with a router or similar is the easiest method for attachment.   As a newbie, it's not for me correct others and therefore, I'm thinking that I'm missing something here?!?!?!?!?!

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

tap+wood+water = problems....I have seen enough wobbly taps in rotten wood to know its best avoided! :)

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

So Cap'n, if you had to fit a kitchen and the customers design specified, solid wood worktops  and an undermount or Belfast sink. Where's the taps gonna go???

12. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

In the worktop! 

I always try and steer my customers away from obvious future troubles.

Wooden worktops are often not looked after properly any way so are best avoided IMHO but if a client does want them its best not to fit undermount sinks, not only is the tap fitment problematic the timbers around the sink get constantly wet too.