Fitting Undermount sink to granite worktops.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Robdiyman, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Robdiyman

Robdiyman New Member

What is the best way to fix stainless undermount sinks to a granite worktop?

2. innit

innit New Member

Replace any top rails on the carcase with some 18mm ply, fix this about 4-5mm from the top of the carcase edge. This can then be cut out so the sink sits on the ply.
    edge the ply to match the carcase colour.

3. Robdiyman

Robdiyman New Member

Thanks innit, that should offer more support for the worktops as well..

Cheers

4. Slimes

Slimes New Member

I use a good quality clear silicon, run a bead round the flange on the sink, lift in to position and wedge in place overnight with a length of wood between an off cut under the sink, and the bottom of the base cab.

Works every time, last one I did had two bowls the same size , I stood in them to reassure the customer!
    HTH, Simes.

5. Leedsfan

Leedsfan New Member

There aint no way I would trust a bead of silicone to support an undermount sink in granite. It might have held your weight on that one occasion but would it stand the test of time? I know loads of fitters who have done this and it has cost them dearly.

Any decent granite company would tell you it needs a top panel fitting and then cut the sink into that as explained above. Make the top panel removable so that the sink can be changed if it becomes damaged.

6. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

My granite fitters used epoxy to stick the sinks to the granite. This was done prior to fitting.

7. innit

innit New Member

I think I'll stick with my method. Not that I'm doubting the others, I just feel more confident that the sink aint going nowhere with a ply support.

8. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

I make you right Innit, I was just saying what they did to mine.

Drill and plug the marble and use standard sink fit brackets might work. Exspensive if it don't though. ;)

9. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Ignore the "typo" above. Or dno't its up to you.

Its fnuny how you can mkae lados of tpynig msistkeas yet poelpe siltl konw eacxlty waht you hvae wtitren.

10. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

silicone for me, the extra baton would be belts and braces if it was a well paid job. Bead all round, leave to dry overnight clamped in place, then smear more all round the join inside the sink unit. Ive never had one fail.

11. Slimes

Slimes New Member

silicone for me, the extra baton would be belts and
    braces if it was a well paid job. Bead all round,
    leave to dry overnight clamped in place, then smear
    more all round the join inside the sink unit. I've
    never had one fail.

Yup Joe, I guess you just stick to what you know works and lasts.

Simes.

12. innit

innit New Member

silicone for me, the extra baton would be belts and
    braces if it was a well paid job. Bead all round,
    leave to dry overnight clamped in place, then smear
    more all round the join inside the sink unit. Ive
    never had one fail.

You've never had one fail because you've only been fitting for 3 years. If the average kitchen lasts 15-20 years then you can't really comment on whether it's going to fail within the life of the kitchen.

On a 1000mm Base Carcase you're looking at no more than a tenner for the ply, about 15-20mins labour.
    I think I might start using silicone to hold wall units up, sod this drilling and screwing lark, just support with a baton overnight.

13. Slimes

Slimes New Member

There's no right or wrong way, just different approaches to the same problem.

As an aside, in the '90's a mate worked for Farouche, and some of his fitters put some wall cabs up in the office for books- with silicone.

When they moved offices some years later, and tried to take them down, first gently and then with a lump hammer, the wall disintegrated before the cabs gave up!

14. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

you would probably be very suprised how well silicone holds wall units up! If even i doubt the wall i silicone all round top bottom and sides, then its going nowhere.

15. Derbo

Derbo New Member

Re: Using Silicone
    I'm looking at this forum because my sink has just dropped out, it was held in by silicone. It was fitted by the previous owners' kitchen fitter about 4-5 years ago so I couldn't say how meticulous he was on the installation.

16. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

I inlay a sheet of 18mm ply fixed with batons and inset the sink into that so the flange is flush at the top. Then graniteboy comes in shakes my hand and says "THATS THE WAY TO DO IT!" he runs silicone to seal it not hold it!

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Ply first then silicon to seal, that's how I do it too ;)

18. fuzzy bear

fuzzy bear New Member

no need to replace the rails just set the ply down inbetween and rout out the gable ends if you need to, why creat extra work for your self. i can install a sink from start to finish in about 15 mins tops.

19. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Fuzzy, the reason i set my ply onto batons is so i can remove later if i have to for any reason thus letting me say "change the sink" without removing the worktops :)

20. fuzzy bear

fuzzy bear New Member

hi cordless
    yes your right about the batons, im thinking about Innit saying remove the front and back rails which unless im reading it wrong seams to be a bit of a faf.