fitting wooden window boards

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by woodburner, Jul 5, 2005.

1. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Hello,

What is the standard way of fitting window boards? I saw someone on a DIY show demonstrating a neat way of doing this but cannot remember what they did.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. panlid

panlid New Member

cut window board to size and dry fit it on blocks/packers or whatever till you get it level. then carefully remove board as not to disturb packers. squirt on a load of expanding foam on to the top of bricks and neatly along window frame just under the line of the board. then sit on your board and put weights on. tins of paint, bricks etc. leave for an hour and job done. just caulk all round to finish.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sorry, Sid.
    Expanding foam..?
    Neatly along window frame just under
    the line of the board...?

And expanding foam and floating packers...?

Gripfil, surely is more appropriate ?

Mr. Handyandy - really

Matrad likes this.
  4. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

Or use screws in the underneath of the window board to adjust the level. (Make sure you don't screw them right through.) When it's level rest something heavy on the window board, like concrete blocks, plumbers' wallet etc and use foam in the void underneath to stick it down.

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i am shure sid must mean no nails ;);)

as expanding foam will lift it about 4" even with all that weight on it

unless he means small blobs and let them expand into the gaps

big all

6. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

im with sid on this one,i use good quality foam ie Spit.Applied with a pressure adjustable gun,never had any problems at all.ah well each to there own !

7. panlid

panlid New Member

your right guys!!!!
    ive just had hundreds of calls tonight with people saying that there boards have finally touched the ceiling.
    i can tell by your responses that you have never tried this method.
    andy get yourself an adjustable gun and open it slightly. then run it alond the bottom of frame, and i bet you my mortgage that it stays nicely. as for the the foam lifting, with weight on it just moves into any space there is therefore not too much upward pressure. it comes out of the front and you just cut off and skim.easy.
    also like putting foam around internal doorcasings after you have fixed them, it gives it a lovely solid feel and sound when you tap it.
    as i say guys, try it and then come on and tell me ive been f*ing up all these years.

i cant believe i didnt spot it sooner!!!!!!

8. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

I've always used foam to fit window boards with no problems. You just make sure they are well weighted down or wedged from the lintels until it's cured. If you use screws in the back for leveling the foam gets everywhere underneath which makes sure they're stuck down well and don't sound hollow. Also you know there wont be any draughts and it fills the front edge solid for plastering over without having to feed rolled up newspapers in the gap.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hey, Sid. Bit touchy, aren't we ?

You will have noticed of course that I apologised before querying the method.
    Not having a go at you. Just thought there were a fwew possible problems with the expanding stuff.

(and no, I have not considered using it on windowboards before)

Like, renewing windowboards. Excess would be sticking to existing decoration.

Does any squeeze up behind and onto the frame(bind to get off)

Will the expanding foam shift your loose packers(when you're not looking)

Like I said, I have not considered it before, just seeing pitfalls. I can see advantages too.

Dunno about anyone else's views, but they are mine.

Personally, I'd fix a couple or 3 self-tappers into the frame to sit the wood on at the right level, glue packers down if needed or use thick blobs of gripfil and settle, like you do a brick, for level.

Mr. Handyandy - really

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ok sid appologies if you thought i was having a go at you i wasnt;):)

it was just the use of the words
    " squirt on a load of expanding foam on to the top of bricks and neatly along window frame "
    suggested to me a good impersonation of mount etna

your wonderfull complete descriptons makes it very clear sid

now can we kiss and make up:):):)

11. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Thanks ever so much for the information. I will begin by attempting Limestone Cowboy's method.

These sorts of debates are worth a lot to amateurs like me.

Kind regards,

Woodburner

12. panlid

panlid New Member

sorry guys, upon reading it bacvk maybe i was a bit touchy.
    anyway andy the packers wont move as the weight really wont let the foam move them, though i like the idea of some screws in bottom of frame to give it a ledge. also limestones idea with screws underneath and adjust to get level is a good idea he told me about a while back.

big all no need to worry about mt.etna as ive got an apprentice now. one of his jobs is to sit on the window board till it goes off. thats all hes good for;)

13. Fred21

Fred21 New Member

I have just seen someone using bonding (plaster) to level up MDF window boards is this recommended