Fix garage door attached to cracked wooden beam

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Alewis, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Alewis

Alewis Member

Hi guys,

Our garage door has been getting difficult to close recently and I have just realised why. It is attached to a horizontal wooden beam over the top of it, which has a crack in at one end, meaning when then door opens, the crack opens slightly and that end of the door drops.

I can't think of a way to fix it in situ so presumably I am going to have to get someone in to take the door off, replace the beam (whilst supporting the brickwork above it), then refit the door, which seems like quite a big job.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience of fixing this?

Cheers.

2. A photo would really, really, really help.

Assuming the beam is merely broken and not rotten, then I'd have thought there would be numerous was of fixing it in situ - metal plates, brackets, all that sort of stuff.

If it's rotten, then surely it all needs to come out.

3. Alewis

Alewis Member

Here are a couple of pictures which should hopefully explain it a bit better.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thank you for the advice so far.

4. Hi.

Can't say I still fully understand, but a couple of points; if you remove that wooden post, your garage shouldn't fall down - there will be a steel lintel above which is holding that row of soldier (?) vertical bricks. So no props required.

And, in your first photo, the right side of the garage is sitting a lot lower than the left, and I cannot see that that was caused by any small crack in the timber - in fact I'm pretty sure that the actual white steel door frame does the supporting - it doesn't rely on that wooden bean except for a place to be screwed on to. So, the top horizontal white frame and both side vertical frame sections appear to be pretty much where they should be - no real sign of them having moved due to a split in the top timber beam, and certainly not to the degree that the actual door is falling to the side.

I think your issues are elsewhere - the door's side roller support thingy is at fault. Somewhere.

But, I could be wrong...

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Looking at the pics, it looks to me as if the door need adjusting to make it level again, it then should open and close easier.

6. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

These old up and over doors can be a bit of a sod to work on. Replacing the head timber is straight forward once the door is off but I doubt that's the main problem. Is the side rail on the rhs properly supported? Is there a tension spring on the top frame of the door, if so is it properly adjusted. Unless you feel confident here I would get a garage door fitter in.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

gdoor.jpg

Looks to me like you need to support the bar(A), which could be done by fixing a 1" x 1" timber up the side to support at (B).

Otherwise, that beam looks a bit rot and need replacing so those bolts can be tighter.

Also, don't trust that that row of soldiers won't drop if beam removed(slight start there already)!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you sure it's not just a simple cable adjustment needed.

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Probably. :)

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I paint around 40-60 garages a year and seen this many times so it's either a simple cable adjustment or a new cable.

11. Alewis

Alewis Member

Thanks guys. I will see if I can get someone out to have a look from our local garage door place. If it is the cable, I will get that done and then do a bit of a tidy up to reinforce stuff. The soldier's are all starting to crumble to be honest so I am clearing them out as they go. I would replace them but I would want them to match and guess I am unlikely to find some that won't stick out.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Whats above the solider course of bricks?

13. Alewis

Alewis Member

Another course of crumbly vertical bricks.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is it a single storey building or double?

15. Alewis

Alewis Member

Single.

16. Alewis

Alewis Member

Update: after getting a garage repair company out, they said I would need to spend £600 on a new door and the beam needed a carpenter to fix it. Seemed rather ludicrous so I drilled the beam and used large bolts and washers, plus glue, which seems to have stabilised the wood. I have then chiseled about 3 inches off the concrete base which had let the bottom of the door come in fully. That also let me add a bolt attaching the door to the frame.

After stone wd40, it is almost as good as new.

Thanks for the help.

17. Blimey, you come on here seemingly 'help me - I know nuffink', and then you carry out a cracking repair.

Awesome, man :)

18. Mr. Handyandy

It's the "Oooooh, too much, I'll do it meself for peanuts" attitude, and how much more satisfying is that!!!
    Yes.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. Alewis

Alewis Member

Infinitely more satisfying. It isn't so much that I can't do stuff; more that I need help working out what it is that needs doing.

The only issue that I have left is that the left hand catch at the top is a tad low and doesn't really catch into the lock. I assumed it would be adjustable but it looks to be a single location fix onto the bracket stemming from the handle. I have tried working out how to extend it perhaps but short of getting a welder, it doesn't seem likely.

20. Mr. Handyandy

So the whole door still needs to be raised that side!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really