fix hole in floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Peter Cashen, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Peter Cashen

Peter Cashen New Member

Hi all

I had Karndean put down last year.

We had underfloor heating done at the same time... and the big mistake was to take the radiator out.

Anyhow I've had to have a radiator put back in. Which is all done.

But I've ended up with two holes in my floor which need somehow filling before the karndean goes back down... (I'll put photos in next comment as I can't from my phone)

Anyone any advice as you how to get the floor back to a state where I can relay the karndean?

2. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

What are the holes from and how big? Has the radiator position changed?

3. Peter Cashen

Peter Cashen New Member

The holes are 6" x 3"

So that the guy could get his hands down to the pipes below the floor where they were originally capped off.

4. Peter Cashen

Peter Cashen New Member

5. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

big hands!
    Certainly has left a bit of a mess!

Where are the joists in relation to the holes?

Without the underfloor heating I would have thought the best bet would be to extend the holes to mid way accross the nearest joist, covering with an appropriately thick ply over the top with cut outs for the rad pipes and screwing into joists. For the pipes he has been working on it might be wise to incorporate a small removeable inspection hole. Might be tricky working around and retrofitting the underfloor heating though!

6. Peter Cashen

Peter Cashen New Member

Yeah Ideally, I don't want to cut out any more flooring... you can already see where I've had to repair the under floor heating after I went right through it...

7. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Guess the trouble is though that you cannot really just cover the holes with anything that substantial or it will stand proud. Fixing something to the undersurface of the existing sides of the hole would probably be relatively flimsy and although reinforced to a degree by the karndean you don't really want your foot to go through the floor.

Do the joists run parallel or perpendicular to the pictured wall with the rad?

Also is that pushfit connector (left) a wee bit squintly. It looks like it connects to plastic pipe which runs at an angle but it's connection to the copper looks a little off...might just be the picture!

8. I take that you have the underfloor heating disconnected and not going to reuse it.
    What has been done to supposedly repair it it is diabolical and downright dangerous,it is not a telephone cable.

9. Peter Cashen

Peter Cashen New Member

Hi... the pipe is fine, its just because that runs plastic pipe to the other side of the radiator so its pulling the whole pipe to the side slightly.

I was thinking of fixing the hole from underneath and then running ply over the top..., its not really in an area where people would step so think we'd get away with it.

Joists run parallel to the wall.

The UFH will be reused, just waiting for the right crimps to arrive.... those current gel crimps are probably just as good as the crimps that I'm waiting for, albeit a little big

10. You need to get an electrician who knows how to repair underfloor heating to fix this.
    You clearly do not have a clue, and by continuing to mess about with it you are creating danger to yourself and those about you.

11. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

Yes, that's what I was thinking, screw battens to the side of the joists where you can, cut strips that overlap 100mm+ either side and pull them tight with a nail/screw until the glue sets. Not sure, but I think you might be missing the horseshoe circlip retainers on those pipe fittings?

12. Peter Cashen

Peter Cashen New Member

I called the place where I bought the heating from and they are sending a repair kit. The guy just said it consists of three small crimps (pos, neg, earth), three small heat shrinks and one larger heatshrink....

So not much to it really!

13. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Given the size of the holes you cannot be too far from joists. If running parallel I would stick a batton onto the joist under the skirting, extend the hole to the next joist 30-40cm tidying up the edges and ply over the top before getting the wiring sorted. Anything just stuck to undersurface of the adjacent existing floor is liable to give way...if i was wanting to create a trap in the floor I would do it his way.

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Or. put extremely strong glue on the underside of the hole and fix a mesh to it, thus creating a 'net'. Once hardened you could then fill in the holes with a good strong flooring type filler?

15. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

You would have to attach the "net" to the top side or there would be no way to stick down the last side of the last hole...unless you make another hole...

16. Jeepers, doom and gloom!

This is a small hole in a chip/sterling/gawd knows what board flooring and is located where the pipe comes up to a radiator - so no-one, unless they are pished out of their minds - is going to place a foot there...

So, first check the condition and cleanliness of the surface of the flooring material (what the hell is it?) and then cut a piece of sheet material (ply, Sterling, chipboard, softwood plank - whatevs) that will (a) fit down that hole and (b) be cut to be at goodly 2 to 3 inches beyond it in most directions.

Then shape it so's it has a neat cutout for that pipe and then shove it down that hole.

Er, after having attached a wire or string to its middle so's it can be pulled firmly back up against the underside of the surrounding area. Oh, and only after it's had a goodly coat of a very good adhesive applied to it - like polyurethane 'foam' adhesive (the stuff that expands as it sets).

Pop in the piece and pull it tightly back up so's it bonds to either side. Hold in place until set. Then fill the hollow.

Doesn't really matter what you use as long as it's fairly flexible - so doesn't crack with movement - and can be levelled off reasonably neatly.

Really, pretty much anything will do. Eg - if you cut a further piece of whatever you used under that floor for the repair - ply, chip, whateves - so'#s it sits nicely in that hollow, and then bed it in polyurthenane adhesive (the expanding foam stuff) and then place a sheet of paper of plastic on top and then a flat panel over that with a weight on it, then you will find - when you remove the panel and paper/plastic - you'll have a nice flat and filled surface ready for whatever goes on top.

Peasy and easy and peasy.

Sheeeeesh.

17. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Personally I'd whip the multitool out and chamfer the edge of the hole neatly at 45 degrees. Then get some ply and shape it similarly so it dropped neatly in on the chamfers and glue the bugger in with PU (gorilla) glue. It's not a high traffic area. It'll be fine.

Doall and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  18. Ooooh - that's a good idea :)

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

No, as just like filling a large hole in car bodywork that one cannot get to, a piece of 'mesh' (net) is pushed into hole and then drawn back and stuck on the inside. Done this before. Bit fiddly but can be done. Once solid then filled in.

20. Thread closed - Mr Rusty has it :)