Fix or replace door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Daniele, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Daniele

Daniele New Member

Hi,

the lock of the door of my bathroom stuck while someone was inside and I had to break through the door.

The lock is damaged but it looks like it can be fixed, the metallic part of the lock is out of place.

The door itself is broke, as you can see from the picture.

Can it be fixed? And if not, how much it would cost to replace it?

An used door would be fine.

The size of the door is:
    - 196cm height
    - 75cm width
    - 4.5cm thick

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easier to reply the door.
    And a fraction smaller than standard 1981x762mm ply flush door, cost Premdor Internal Flush Plywood Door about £30.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Replace.:rolleyes::oops:

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Replace. Also use Vaseline on new latches ect. It's stops the ware and don't run or evaporate like oil. Stays in place for years and all works quiet and smooth.

5. Daniele

Daniele New Member

Thanks a lot, but if I get a door that is bigger how should I reduce the size?

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Will you be repairing / fitting door yourself

If you have some diy experience you could repair the door and materials won't cost a lot. If the lock needs replacing, again cheap, less than a fiver, it's a bathroom lock so not massive security issue

Your asking how much to replace it so if your getting someone in to fit it, they will know how to reduce the size

If your diy experience is lacking and you have a minimal tool bag, realistically ur better off getting in someone to fit door

For a 1 off cheapie bathroom door, a handyman type chap should be able to sort this for you

7. Daniele

Daniele New Member

I have a little experience I diy but I recently moved in uk so I don't have any tool.

Where can I ask for a quote?

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Your local newspapers advertisement section, yellow pages, or type in carpenters/joiners on Google within your local area.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Should have unlocked it from the other side by passing the key under the door.............jobs a goodun!;)

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Where are you?

11. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

You can check local papers or better still ask around people you know locally for a recommendation.

Failing that log on the one of the trade contact sites like Rated People or My Builder and post the job. At least you will see feedback from other clients that way so you know you are hiring someone capable.

I've seen some real bodge jobs when it comes to fitting doors. One of the most common is fitting a hollow door the wrong way round so all looks good for a week or two then the handle comes off the door and there is no material inside to reconnect it.

12. Daniele

Daniele New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I recently moved to London so even if a have some experience with the DIY I don't have the tools to do it (apart a few screw drivers and a small hammer).

Where can I request a quote? And roughly which would be a fair quote for this job?

I found a door with the same exact width and height but slightly thinner, 3.5cm instead of 4.5cm, the lock set is almost at the same height (the original door has its own at 90cm from the ground while the new one at 88cm from the ground) so the fitting should not be too much complicated.

Thanks,
    Daniele

13. GoodwithWood

14. Daniele

Daniele New Member

Camberwell, London

15. Daniele

Daniele New Member

...... please keep for yourself your totally useless comments ........

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sorry my advice was perfectly appropriate and as used by the emergency services in such a situation, your reply proves you have a lot to learn before you go and damage another door..

17. GoodwithWood

Was rubbing salt into the wound though Astra. :(

CGN likes this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, just misunderstood advice! ;)

CGN likes this.
  19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Chippie will do a spot on job for you Daniele if it falls within his area. By the time you've bought tools etc, you'll be more out of pocket and tbh, fitting a new door in an old frame can be quite a frustrating job.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Doors are funny / frustrating things to fit (unless you fit them day in and out for a living)

Even if the measurement are the same, still a high chance that the door won't just slide in, always gonna be some adjustment needed as frames are often slightly out somewhere

With a thinner door, the frame stops will have to come off and be repositioned. Sometimes they come off ok, othertimes not and then the frame will need repainting

You may also be quoted a slightly higher price as just the 1 door to fit