Fixing 50mm batten to plasterboard: which fixing?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by epatrickt, May 27, 2007.

1. epatrickt

epatrickt New Member

I want to fix 50mm battens to a plasterboard ceiling so that I can put insulation and further plasterboard on. I don't want to dig through the existing board so would like to use a plasterboard fixing. Are the Heavy-Duty RediDriva fixings strong enough? Can readily available alternative (longer) screws be used? No spec shown. Would say, 4 x 70mm screws be OK?

2. netzer

netzer New Member

locate joists and screw baton to them don't forget light fittings.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For 50mm battens, I would suggest 75mm screws. But if it is going over the old plasterboard (12.5mm), I would suggest 85mm screws minimum.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. epatrickt

epatrickt New Member

Thanks for the replies, but they don't aren't quite what I am after. I could use 100mm screws and go through the 50mm battens and thr 12.5mm plasterboard into the timber behind, but, I will have to dig around trying to find them. I was hoping to find out whether the Heavy-Duty RediDriva fixings would be up to the job and, if so, what size screw will they accept? Can I use a 75mm screw into them? 4 x 70/75? Thanks

5. ­

­ New Member

> I could use 100mm screws and go
    through the 50mm battens and thr 12.5mm plasterboard
    into the timber behind, but, I will have to dig
    around trying to find them.

That's exactly what you're going to have to do. It's easy. Just go along with a 100mm nail and bang it in every inch along a wall. You will quickly find the joists.

> I was hoping to find out
    whether the Heavy-Duty RediDriva fixings would be up
    to the job and, if so, what size screw will they
    accept? Can I use a 75mm screw into them? 4 x 70/75?

So you want to fix a new ceiling + plaster + insulation + 50mm battens to the existing plasterboard! No way! The whole lot could pull the RediDriva fixings out. RediDriva fixings are ok in ceilings for lightweight stuff (ceiling pendants etc) and are very good on a vertical stud wall for fixings but not for what you want to do.

6. > I will have to dig around trying to find them.

...life's a b!tch, innit

7. epatrickt

epatrickt New Member

OK - loud and clear! No laxy option! Thanks.