Fixing a batten on tanking

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by dawn.bush@gmail.com, Feb 9, 2014.

1. dawn.bush@gmail.com

dawn.bush@gmail.com New Member

I am going to tile my bathroom but have spotted a potential problem about fixing a batten to the wall above the bath.

I am going to resurface my bath and they suggest all tiling is completed before tackling the bath in case the surface gets damaged. But due to the nature of the preparation on the bath tub it would be impossible to get into the corners once the bottom row of tiles is applied and thorough cleanliness is needed for the enamel to adhere. I did think fixing a batten one row up would be the way to go with then having to do minimal careful tiling after the bath was done. However because the wall has a recess I have decided to tank the wall before tiling to prevent water ingress on the ledge and corners and to continue around the splash area. If I tank first then fix a batten to the wall I will obviously puncture it and a repair afterwards might fail. So please do you have any suggestions of what I can do to get around the problem.
    Many thanks for reading this and having a think.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Could you make some legs for the batten that sit on the bath edge and then hold it in place with a few dabs of mastic or double sided tape that could be peeled off afterwards, this way the weight is supported by the legs and the mastic/tape is just stopping it falling over.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

As Phil says something supported on the bath and mastic or Blue Tac to hold it to the wall. A piece of contiboard in a suitable width would be straight and true.

4. dawn.bush@gmail.com

dawn.bush@gmail.com New Member

Many thanks for your ideas just need to get some confidence and crack on with it.

5. tiptoptiler

tiptoptiler New Member

use baton stands there cheap on ebay even rubi sell them