Fixing a Mirror to a wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by spindle, Feb 13, 2006.

1. spindle

spindle New Member

HI
    I want to fix a mirror to a wall without screws!!
    What is the best method, I have stripped the wall paper but do not know which is the best form of adhesive or wall preparation.the mirror is 1500 x 800 and will sit on a batten screwed to the wall to help hold the weight
    Thanks for you help

2. Ken.L.Worth

Ken.L.Worth New Member

something that size I'd definitely use a mechanical fixing!!

If the weight will be supported on a batten, it really only needs securing at the top to prevent it falling away from the wall. I've used small clips intended for fixing secondary glazing for similar type jobs.

Is the mirror plain glass (polished edges?) or framed?

Think safety!

3. spindle

spindle New Member

Hi
    The mirror has a beveled edge

4. mlpropertyservices

mlpropertyservices New Member

why don't you want to use screws if it's to avoid drilling holes through the mirror you can get clips that will mechanically fix to the wall and just lip over the edge of the mirror.

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Stick the mirror to the wall using mirror adhesive. It comes in a tube that fits into a standard gun.

I've stuck mirrors bigger than yours without problems.

Don't be tempted to use a standard silicone, it will eat away at the back of the mirror and show through to the front.

6. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

7. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

regarding holes in mirrors, if I need to then I go to a local glass cutting company and they drill the mirror for me. Costs me a fiver but cheaper than a new mirror.
    BR

8. Stick the mirror to the wall using mirror adhesive.
    It comes in a tube that fits into a standard gun.

I've stuck mirrors bigger than yours without
    problems.

Don't be tempted to use a standard silicone, it will
    eat away at the back of the mirror and show through
    to the front.

If you get the mirror foil backed it removes this issue, and also if it ever breaks it keeps it intact and stops all the small shards dropping over the floor, but mirror adhesive is the way to go.

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Stick the mirror to the wall using mirror
    adhesive.
    It comes in a tube that fits into a standard gun.

I've stuck mirrors bigger than yours without
    problems.

Don't be tempted to use a standard silicone, it
    will
    eat away at the back of the mirror and show
    through
    to the front.

If you get the mirror foil backed it removes this
    issue, and also if it ever breaks it keeps it intact
    and stops all the small shards dropping over the
    floor, but mirror adhesive is the way to go.

I thought the same up until two years ago where I did a Bathroom and stuck the foil backed mirror with Dow Corning 785. Within a month it had shown through. I don't risk it now, I must have done twenty foil backed mirrors with no problem but as I had problems with one I wont use anything but mirror bond now.

Maybe I'm being over cautious but for the sake of £1 extra per tube I can sleep easier!!! :)

10. JackUzi

JackUzi New Member

I am about to do the same. I intend to put a 1000mm square mirror in the middle of a wall with the rest of the wall tiled. I have bought the mirror adhesive sold on Screwfix site but when reading the back it says that you have to leave minimum 4mm clearance behind the glass? This gives me problems as I want the mirror and the tiles to be flush. The glass is 6mm thick and the tiles 7mm. Am I okay to push this tighter than the 4mm recommended on the tube? Thanks.

11. ­

­ New Member

You have to be careful you don't slightly distort the mirror when glueing it to a wall, I've seen it with 4mm mirrors, not sure if thicker ones suffer with this problem. It's not always noticeable immediately, but it's annoying if it happens.