Fixing concrete

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tore81, Nov 27, 2015.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi guys

I have a 500 x 500 patch repair on a pathway previously been shuttered.

Can I use post Crete if I dig out a couple of inches to give strength.

I have tried post Crete for previous things and failed. But the supplier assured me that is just concrete. If channel is deep enough will be fine.

Just want a quick repair and it's only small so saves hassle. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

hi, i think you answered your own question there. Postcrete (or equivalent) is too fine in terms of granules for your path. I would get a "mix in the bag" from B&Q etc. which is designed for things like this.

Take all lose bits out of the hole. mix up the concrete. wet the edges of the hole with water and pour in the mix. Scrape off any excess with a straight edge using either side as a guide. Then smooth off to a finish similar to the path

tore81 likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope.

It will not last, it's not designed for that.

Ideally you need 100m depth & use proper concrete & not too wet, tamped down, & don't over work it.

tore81 likes this.
  4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks both.

I thought as much. I even told the shop assistant. It won't work.

Then he says its concrete of course it will work. So now I have to take them back lol.

I will look in B@q that's helpful forgot about them.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can buy Mastercrete cement 10kg in Wickes @ £3:99p & a bag or two of ballast @ £1:99p each, will make better concrete than the all in & cement premix you can buy.

6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Only for pedestrian use kiab. So I think master Crete will do.

I'm still punching myself for buying post Crete. I'm hoping they take them back