Fixing garage door frame to a cavity wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jimbo13, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Jimbo13

Jimbo13 New Member

I need to fix a garage door frame inside my newly built garage, its cavity wall, brick and block and the builder didnt close the cavities by returning the brick.

I could fix the timber to the outer brick skin but ideally I'd like the door set in by at least the width of the brick, as I think it looks better. I could fasten to the blockwork but how to neatly close the cavity ? timber ? UPVC trim ? OR is there some normal way to fasten the frame about midway, i.e. where the cavity is ??

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The area of brick work were the door goes should not be a cavity on a garage, it should be solid due to the weight/size of the door.

Given that it is a cavity, I would not considered moving the frame back to far and fix it to the brick skin.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I had my garage door delivered, i was supplied with wall straps, but I didn't need these as It was fitted directly to brick.

4. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Jimbo, get the builder back to finish the job. Seriously do it that's totally unacceptable. Was it done under inspection?

I'm assuming you have an integral garage hence the cavity. Leaving an open 100mm cavity presents all sorts of hazards. Damp ingress, pests such as wasps, masonry bees and vermin. Make sure it gets finished properly and that the blocks are secured.

5. Jimbo13

Jimbo13 New Member

I'm considering laying blues, on their ends, up the cavity to give me something to fasten to ?

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Why use a brick thats hard to drill and cracks under pressure, just use a cheap stock brick or if you have access to a grinder, cut 7N blocks into strips.