Fixing heavy salon hood dryer to breeze block wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mark Cresswell, May 17, 2015.

1. Mark Cresswell

Mark Cresswell New Member

Hi I hope someone can advise me.

I am trying to fit a REM wall mount hood dryer arm to a plaster boarded that has been dot and dabbed to a breeze block wall. The arm is attached to the wall with a pivot bracket that has one hole above and one below the pivot. See http://www.salon-services.com/rem-elite-and-elan-dryer-wall-arm/ for arm details. The supplied fixings are two M10 Rawlbolts.

I have cut out a rectangular section of plasterboard and cut a peace of hardwood to fit the hole to pad out the gap and mount the bracket on so that it is level with the plasterboard face. I drilled 10mm holes in the wood and 14mm in the breeze block to fit the Rawlbolts. The problem is a soon as I tighten the Rawlbolts I can hear and feel it chewing its way into the blocks and the bolts turn. As soon as I attach the arm and hood dryer and swing it out to its maximum length (approx. 2 Metres) the bolts move in the wall.

I have seen that chemical fixing is recommended for heavy loads. Would resin with a 10mm threaded rod and nut work with breeze block and if so could someone recommend a product.
    Other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Mark

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I love Thunderbolts. Never had a problem with them. :)

3. Mark Cresswell

I might give them a go for the second unit but unfortunately I now have oversized 14mm holes in the wall now. So I guess for this one I'd need some kind of resin fixing.

Just a thought, If I fill the hole with resin could I then drill that and then use a thunderbolt?

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Why did you drill 14mm holes in the wall for a 10mm bolt ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

can you get to the other side of the wall mark? if so, you could always use m10 stainless threaded bar, nice big fat washers and nylocs

6. malkie129

That sounds a bit iffy:oops:

7. Mark Cresswell

Unfortunately the other side is another unit. I don't think they would appreciate me drilling through their wall :(

8. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Can you not just go along a bit Mark , and drill fresh holes?

9. FatHands

hi, when you say thunderbolts, are you referring to these, or these mate? I often hear people say thunderbolts with different meanings!
    Cheers

10. FatHands

thats a shame. whatever you use, make sure its something substantial. The last thing you want is a call to say that has fallen on someone.

11. malkie129

Hi Fats, when I say Thunderbolts, I mean the hex head masonry bolts. Different suppliers call them by other names. :)

FatHands likes this.
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Multimonti's is another name.

FatHands likes this.
  13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Fats neither of them you posted are thunder bolts.

THUNDERBOLT-228x228-500x500.jpg

14. malkie129

Yeah, that's the ones that I meant Phil. :)

15. Mark Cresswell

Ok so I see what I should have used and I will try those for the second arm. But in the mean time I need to fix what I have already done. I now have 2 14mm holes. What I'm thinking is to use a fixing resin to anchor 10mm threaded rod but I'm unsure which of the many products are suitable. http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/resins/cat840122 Can someone advise me which would be strongest into breeze block?

16. FatHands

Thanks for clearing up the thunderbolts query :)

Mark - I have used the no nonsense stuff and found that very good. If you have 14mm holes, 12mm rod would be a nicer fit -10 mm might be a bit of a c**k in a sock! ;)

17. Mark Cresswell

I'm going to give this a go tomorrow evening and leave it a day before hanging the arm. Does any one have a recommendation of which type would be best for breeze block, Vinylester Resin, Polyester Resin or Polyester Styrene-Free Resin?

18. Mark Cresswell

So it's now been 8 months and I thought I'd provide some feedback. Well the arms are well and truly fixed and with the hood driers attached are still up and rock solid in the walls! In the end I used this No Nonsense Polyester Resin 175ml stuff. I cannot rate this highly enough. I didn't think it would be strong enough but how wrong was I. I did leave it 48hours before I fully loaded it but I think that was me being over cautious. I also replaced the Raw bolts with these 17513 Studs M10 x 130mm Pk5.