Fixing radiator to tiled hollow wall

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIYRich, Feb 17, 2017.

1. DIYRich

DIYRich New Member

I need to fix a rad to a wall that has been tiled with natural stone tiles. It's a stud wall and where I am planning to put the radiator, there are no studs, pipes or wires.
    1. How should I create the hole?
    2. What fixings should I use?
    3. What fixings should I use for smaller items like towel rail holder etc.
    Many thanks.

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

[​IMG]
    Available from our hosts.
    Only for moderate sized radiators though - put some CT1 or similar on the back of the radiator brackets as well.
    Plenty of products for cutting the hole in the tiles, but these toggles need quite a large diameter hole (about 14mm?) so go carefully and slowly.

3. I would personally go for the type that you can secure and leave - like these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-hollow-wall-anchors-m6-x-37mm-20-pack/40813

Obviously chose a length that suits the combined thickness of the tile and board.

Drill the hole as snug as possible. Use a masonry drill or proper tile bit to get through the tile, and then swap to a wood type bit to cut as cleanly through the p'board as you possibly can - do not tear through the backing paper layer.

Obviously with this type of fixing you'd need to bend flat the tines that are designed to dig in to the usual type of surface. Also, you'll need to be able to hold it from rotating when the screw is initially set in.

Once in place, tho', it'll be secure and strong.

Then, on final bracket fixing, add a good bead of StixAll or CT1 betwixt the bracket and the tiles as GiF says. The whole idea is to prevent any future movement in that bracket.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Me? I would measure where you want the rad. Cut out strips where rad brackets are going and secure timber to the wall behind, if indeed there is a wall behind. Then secure rad to these supports. Rad + water = heavy!

ramseyman and Dave does Gas like this.
  5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Koolpc defiantly the preferred method without a doubt

koolpc likes this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

...but a pain if already tiled. Unless it's a massive cast iron rad...appropriate wall fixings will work :)

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I would not like to risk a rad + water on a stud wall with just hollow fixings!

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Depends on how big the rad is. Agree with you that putting studwork in is the best way...but if it's not too large, then will be ok. The tiles will help spread the load and beef up the PB.

koolpc likes this.
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I know that we're all dead cautious about this but I have never seen a radiator that has pulled away from a wall (unintentionally at least). No doubt people have but I haven't. I bet we don't factor in the weight of wet towels either.....

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Rads can be heavy without water!

11. Remloc

Remloc New Member