Fixing/support for Wooden Posts

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Janaka, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Janaka

Janaka New Member

Hi,

Got some 115mm x 115mm oak posts to make a porch. Need to anchor them onto the top of an 500mm high brick wall. Wall is unfinished - I mean it is not capped with anything - just a raw course of brick and mortar.

What do you recommend for fixing the posts into the top of the wall? I do not want any metal to be visible like fence post spikes.

I am thinking to use 4 x 12mm galvanised rods set about 6" into the wall with resin and maybe 4" into the bottom of the posts, also bonded with resin.

A wooden cill is then to be cut out and fitted around the posts.

Sound OK to you?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why not fit the cill first and then the posts?

3. Janaka

Janaka New Member

Mainly because the guy hasn't decided if he's going to have a wooden cill or use stone. The top of the wall is 230mm wide so it's not a simple cill either.

Anyways, IF I were fixing posts onto the wall direct, what would you recommend?

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

In my opinion, you might be better making the sill up first, then fixing from under the sill,through into the posts with 8" coach screws. Then fix the sill down to the wall.
    Fixing with your resin and bolt as you suggest, would not be good for the wall unless it was into the wall at least 12".

There are more ways as I am sure you will find out.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really