Fixing to Thermalites - DIY

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by TonyEnjoyD, Apr 10, 2007.

1. TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD New Member

Hi all,

Unfortunately I had a bad experience with a builder which has left me carrying out a lot the interior finish work myself.

One wall of my kitchen extension is Thermalite blocks (I think that's what they are called), and I am fitting the stud liner to that wall and boarding. There will be kitchen cabinets fitted so I need to ensure that the wall framework and blocks to mount the wall units are solid.

Can anyone advise on the best type of fixings to use as I don't trust rawlplugs in the blockwork?

Any advice at all???

Thanks
    TonyEnjoyD

2. yan1

yan1 New Member

Work out where the wall units will be hanging and where the fixings will be screwed, then put some extra stud or noggins behind the boards. You can then screw into this all you like.

3. TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD New Member

I am fixing 4x2 noggins to mount the wall units onto, but I need to know the best fixings to fix the noggins and frame to the wall - not just tying them to th 2x2 stud frame.

thanx
    T

4. > Can anyone advise on the best type of fixings to use
    as I don't trust rawlplugs in the blockwork?

use these my dear good chap

5. ­

­ New Member

Don't you lot read the posts? He wants to fix 4x2 to Thermalite.

6. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

If I was doing it I would either use helical wing plugs or Fischer nylon universal plugs. & drill the hole using a metal drill bit more or less the same size has the plug & hammer in making sure the hole is free of dust also the screw will be counter sunk in the wood. I’m sure I will be corrected.

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

brown plugs and No.10's always give a good fixing for me

9. wakeup

wakeup New Member

I just fitted my wall units to aerated blocks (I assume they are the same as thermalite blocks).
    I used 8 x 100 frame fixings and 8 x 100 universal frame fixings, worked a treat.
    I also used hanging rail from woodfit which worked really really well.

10. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

To get a firm fix in thermalite. Drill for a red plug, hammer in a brown plug and use a no.10 screw that will reach the end of the plug.

Or, if you can see the morte course fix into that with normal plugs etc..

11. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

If you drill deep enough you can use normal red plugs and a long screw!
    Just make sure you use a 5mm bit to make it nice and tight for the long screw!
    Satisfaction!

12. dhpowerfade

dhpowerfade New Member

You have to be very careful fixing to thermalite blocks, standard plugs will work loose in time regardless of the drill size you use. Screwfix have the perfect solution: 8x120 fischer universal frame fixings (sfd ref 51989). I have used these many times and never had a problem

13. arsebiscuit

arsebiscuit New Member

I've used 8x80 frame fixings through a layer of dot 'n dab plasterboard onto thermalite bricks.

I'd recommend using either a wood or HSS drill bit, you get a much cleaner tighter hole than a masonry bit. Countersink also helps with getting the fixing flush.

Beware: if you're screwing into masonry blocks, I've found the screws that came with the Screwfix 8x80 frame fixings are soft as *** - I've sheared a couple and it's a PITA getting them out. I ended up throwing the screws away and replacing with equivalent Goldscrews.

[Edited by: admin2]

14. TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, this light blockwork is a pain so all advice will be heeded and used

many thanks

TonyEnjoyD

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Also fix your noggins to the adjacent studs for extra strength.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Oh, looks like you got that covered :)(I just read it through again)

Mr. HandyAndy - really