Fixing TV aerial to chimney stack - must it be "lashed"?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by diymostthings, Jan 21, 2008.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is the right forum.
    For my new chimney mounting TV aerial is it permissible to use a wall mounting plate (i.e. the type which rawlbolts into the wall at four points with two "arms" to take the mast clips)instead of the lashing method? Much easier for me to do the former and the existing lashing and bracketlooks very ropey. Its a substantial chimney between two semis but its a big high gain aerial.

Thanks for any views

PTP

2. marc the spark

marc the spark New Member

Hello Pete,

Im no expert on this seem to re-call that drilling into the stack is a big no no as its only 1 brick thick!!!!!

Might cause stabilityn problems with the stack.

Im sure someone can confirm this???

Marc

3. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

Vibrations caused by wind & birds flying on & off will gradually work any bolts or screws loose. Lashings are essential & probably easier to fit than mounting plates.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Absolutely. Everyone to have two lashes at least(and don't forget the corner protectors).

:)

Mr. Handyandy - really

5. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Or......for real easy fitting.

Get an indoor aerial :)

6. What is the height of the intended mast ?

What size is your aerial, (how many elements) ?

What is the average size of masts used by your neighbours ?

Chimney, Brick or Stone ?

7. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

Ghost-1,

For even easier fitting, get cable T.V. Ya!

8. diymostthings

What is the height of the intended mast ?

What is the average size of masts used by your
    neighbours ?

Thanks midnight. Height of mast will be 1.5m above fixing point. Aerial is a high gain group "A" 21 elements (each is "four pronged" and a large reflector plate.Whole aerial is 2m long. Neighbour's are a bit smaller but we need the extra gain to get one of the digital terrestrial MUX's and for it to serve two TV's without amp.

PTP

9. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

10. What is the height of the intended mast ?

What is the average size of masts used by your
    neighbours ?

Thanks midnight. Height of mast will be 1.5m above
    fixing point. Aerial is a high gain group "A" 21
    elements (each is "four pronged" and a large
    reflector plate.Whole aerial is 2m long. Neighbour's
    are a bit smaller but we need the extra gain to get
    one of the digital terrestrial MUX's and for it to
    serve two TV's without amp.

PTP

There will be very little weight in that size of 'rig', height will not give you extra gain, unless your surrounded with trees, don't split the signal, buy a small distribution amp, 1 in 2 out, install in the loft. Assuming the chimney is sound, a wall bracket will be fine, don't put fixings into joints though.

If the line of site is clear to the transmitter, with no obstructions near, reduce the size of the mast, you could try clamping the aerial halfway up the mast, if OK then reduce the height of the mast.

11. mrm aerials

mrm aerials New Member

only bolt on as a last resort !!! single brick construction,open to the winds,how long would you like your installation to last ?? for the sake of £6.00 is it worth the compramise ?? either way good luck.

12. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Ask here http://www.rodhull-aerial-services.co.uk

Your link seems a bit slipshod & slapdash.

Doormouse, I think it was meant to be a joke. i.e. Rod Hull (of Rod Hull & Emu) died by falling off a roof whilst adjusting his TV aerial.

BB

13. Mots

Mots New Member

If you fix the antenna on a plate it will surely come down soon and leave a severely damaged chimney stack. It must be a proper chimney lashing with a corner mast clamp, two J bolts and three corner plates. However, if the stack is old be careful not to tighten too much. I have watched as a complete layer of bricks have moved inwards whilst tightening the J bolts!! OK - an old (1920's) stack. Just be careful! Also, if the antenna is really big it could have a high windage factor, in which case you should use two lashings spaced as far apart as the chimney height will allow, and, of course, a longer and heavier mast. Ideally, the antenna should sit a bit above the chimneys. Hope this helps.....

14. diymostthings

OK thanks one and all for that excellent advice. I will ditch the bolted plate idea and go for a double lashing even though its going to be hard for access on those corners! I've also been advised to use "hot dipped" metalwork and stainless steel bolts so the aerial may well outlast the house!
    PTP